Ten | Virgil

I slowly open my eyes, feeling warm and safe. I glance next to me to see Roman sleeping peacefully, a soft smile on his face. I look down at my ring. It's still glowing. It wasn't a dream. Roman mumbles something incoherently and pulls me closer to him, burying his head in the crook of my neck. I smile, accepting the warmth he provides. I've never felt this close with someone, especially not this quickly. Roman would have told me if he was my soulmate, right? The thought makes me frown. I feel bad for wanting it to be Roman. If it's not Roman, then my real soulmate is out there, knowing who I am and I'm sitting here wishing it was different person. I'm so awful.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Roman sits up, looking into my eyes.

"Wh-what?" I stutter out.

"What's wrong? Your breathing got really shallow. Are you okay?" A few tears well in my eyes. He noticed that?

"I'm fine, I'm sorry for waking you. Just thinking about my soulmate."

"No need to apologize my emo nightmare." He offers me a sad smile. "I promise there's no way they could be disappointed." I nod. That's not exactly what was wrong, but I appreciate his reassurance. He doesn't need to know that I was thinking about him that way anyways. He would probably hate me.

His eyes grow wide suddenly and he reaches over for his phone. He quickly sends a message and then sighs at whatever the response was.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah. Just had to text my dad. He said he figured I fell asleep. We're all good." He lays back down, offering a spot in his arms again.

"We should probably get up." He whines and makes grabby hands at me. "Come on Princey." I grab his hand to help him up, but he pulls me down onto his chest, wrapping his arms around me. I giggle and try to push my way out of his arms. "Romanooo let gooo!" He loosens his grip and lets me climb out of his arms. He smiles his big goofy smile at me and the butterflies return to my stomach. I feel my face begin to heat up and I look away from him. I can practically feel the smirk on his face. "Shut up." I mumble.

"I didn't say anything." I turn around and glare at him then hop off the bed.

"I'm going to go get some food. Come with me?" He nods and follows me downstairs.

"Mornin Thomas." Thomas turns around to look at us, a smirk on his face.

"I hope you two slept well." I feel my face heat up and I'm glad Roman's does too.

"S-sorry Thomas. I wasn't planning on falling asleep."

"That's okay Roman." His eyes suddenly light up. "Virgil! Your ring! I'm happy for you kiddo." The word kiddo reminds me of Patton and makes me smile.

"Thanks, it happened last night." Thomas's eyes shift between me and Roman.

"Last night?" I nod my head, not really paying attention. Thomas smiles again, his eyes focused on Roman.

"Well I'm hungry." I repeat, my stomach growling. Roman smiles.

"Then let's find you something to eat."

"Don't worry boys. I'm making pancakes."

"Awesome!" I say and Roman smiles. I sit on one of the bar stools and Roman follows, sitting beside me. "Hey Thomas?"

"Yeah?"

"When does it stop glowing? I miss seeing how he's feeling." I ask with a frown.

"It won't stop until you figure out who your soulmate is, then it'll be back to normal."

"Hm okay, thanks." I twist the glowing ring around my finger, sparing a glance at Roman's ring which is yellow. His ring has been yellow a lot lately. From what I've gathered from his conversations with Patton it didn't use to be that way. I'm glad his soulmate's happy.

"Princey?"

"Yeah Stormcloud?" Thomas glances back at us when hearing the nicknames, but says nothing.

"I'm glad your soulmate's happy." I say with a small smile, he returns the gesture.

"I'm really glad he is too." He says, looking into my eyes. Roman's eyes drift back down to his ring. "Hey next Friday I'm going to be part of a one night musical in the park. It's called 21 Chump Street and it's pretty short. I'd love it if you could come."

"Of course! I'll be there!" Roman smiles at me.

"Thanks Virge."

"How many pancakes do you guys want?" Thomas intervenes.

"Two," I say while stretching. I look over to Roman who's staring at the counter, eyes distant.

"How many pancakes do you want Ro?" He snaps out of it and looks at me then to Thomas.

"Uh I'll have two." Thomas says okay and puts the food on plates. He puts the plates in front of us along with syrup and butter. Roman and I don't talk much as we eat. We both finish our food fairly quickly. I stand up and clean off the plates.

"Do you want to watch that movie you've been going on about?" I ask Roman.

"Yes!" Roman takes my hand and drags me off of the stool.

"Slow down sir-sing-a-lot!" I say laughing. "My short legs can't keep up!" He chuckles and stops suddenly. "What are you-" He picks me up and carries me up the stairs. "Roman!" I giggle as we reach my room and he puts me down on my bed.

"You said you couldn't keep up." He smirks. "That seemed like a reasonable solution." I roll my eyes.

"That was anything but a reasonable solution." He just smirks. "Just put the movie on," I say, throwing the remote at him.

"Hey!" He yells when it hits him in the head, causing me to laugh. "That was just mean." He pretends to be in pain, but I can see the smile on his face.

"Oh well." He laughs and sits down beside me on the bed, getting the movie on.

1000 Words