Six | Virgil

TW: Panic attack

I'm anxious to say the least. I've been playing with my ring for ten minutes, waiting for Roman. The yellow and orange is a pleasant combination. It reminds me of summer. I don't know why I'm so nervous. Maybe it's because I think Roman's really cute. Maybe I'm just anxious to be hanging out with friends. I haven't done that in a long time. I mean it took an hour to pick out my clothes. My outfit consists of ripped, black, high-waisted, skinny jeans and a purple and black tie dye cropped hoodie. These are paired with my combat boots of course. I'm scrolling through Tumblr when Roman comes up to me.

"I hope you weren't waiting out here long. Sorry I'm a little late." He says sheepishly, his hand on the back of his neck.

"It's fine, Princey. Only like ten minutes. And it's nice out." Roman smiles. My eyes travel from his eyes down to his feet. He's wearing a white sweater loosely tucked into his red skinny jeans. His feet are clad in all white vans. He looks really hot. I look back up at his face and see that his face matches his pants.

"You look nice." He says and I blush at the compliment.

"Thank you," I say quietly. He smiles at me.

"Come on, Patton and Lo are already there." He offers his hand and my face turns an even brighter red. I accept it, standing up from the stairs. He doesn't drop my hand until he's opening the car door for me.

"Thanks." Roman gets in the car and puts on some music as he starts to drive. I recognize the song as Kiss The Girl. "The Little Mermaid?" I question.

"I told you I like Disney." He laughs and begins to sing along to the song. I watch him with a small smile. His voice is so smooth and pretty.

"You have a really nice voice." I say, without thinking. My face turns bright red. "S-Sorry that probably sounded so weird. I'm-"

"It's okay. Thanks Virgil." I glance over and see his cheeks are a light pink color. I look down with a small smile on my face. Curse him for being so pretty with his light brown hair that looks so soft and beautiful bright green eyes and his smooth tan skin an-

"And we're here!" Roman says, tearing me from my thoughts. I look at the building before us. The diner is small and very obviously retro. It looks like it hasn't changed since the 50s. Before I know it, Roman's opening my door and I'm accepting his outstretched hand again. Unlike last time, he drops it once I'm up, or out in this case. I follow him inside and to a booth in the back where Logan and Patton are already sitting.

"It's funny! I'm funny!" Patton pouts. I slide into the booth across from Patton and Roman sits next to me and across from Logan, but neither acknowledges our presence. "This just shows that you need to pay more attention during our Disney marathons." Logan rolls his eyes.

"Those movies are not-" He stops when he receives glares from both Patton and Roman. "-bad in any way." Patton giggles.

"Exactly! Disney marathon next weekend."

"Oh hell yes count me and Virgil in." Roman speaks up.

"Hey! I didn't agree to that!"

"Oh, but you did agree to watching Heathers with me. We'll just do that in the same night my emo nightmare."

"I'm pretty sure you already used that nickname." I point out. He sticks his tongue out at me and I copy the gesture.

"I don't like Heathers. It scares me." Patton pouts.

"Oh right! I forgot, sorry padre. Virge and I will watch it on our own then. Although you're still welcome to come to Disney night Virgil." I groan. "Oh come on! You know you want to. Besides, I'll be there." He smirks and I raise an eyebrow.

"I'll make cookies!" Patton says and I smile.

"Why didn't you start with that?" Patton giggles and Roman glares at me.

"Am I not enough for you?" He says dramatically, wiping a fake tear away.

"Do you really want me to answer that?" He pauses for a moment.

"No, I don't believe I do." The waitress comes to take our orders a minute later. I get a chocolate milkshake and Roman gets a strawberry one.

"I'm not surprised that you're a strawberry guy." I say nonchalantly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I shrug. "And you say I'm the mean one."

"And I'm right." He scoffs.

"As if." I hear Patton giggle and I look up. He immediately looks down at his cotton candy milkshake.

"Roman!" Patton says suddenly. "It's happening again!" Everyone's eyes drift to Roman's soulmate ring which is a bright yellow with stripes of orange. I glance at my own, pure yellow. "Roman that's amazing! They're happy again!" I frown at the mention of Roman's soulmate. I don't know why, it's just upsetting me for some reason. The yellow on Roman's ring gets duller and duller until it's replaced with a very unsaturated blue. Sadness, but not that much. I watch a frown take over Roman's features.

"Guess that didn't last long." He glances at me and I quickly put a smile back on my face. His eyes shift around for a second, like he's thinking, but he quickly shakes his head.

"So Virgil," I look up to Logan. It's the first time he's spoken to me since we got here.

"Yeah?"

"Tell us about yourself." The smile, although fake, drops from my face.

"You make it sound like I'm interviewing for a job." I laugh. "Well uh what do you want to know?"

"I don't know. Why did you move here?" The question makes my heart drop. Why did I move here? I was placed with Thomas. Simple question, simple answer. But then they'd ask more questions. Why was I moved to be placed with Thomas? How I was abused in my last group home, protecting the young kids so that they didn't have to suffer, is not something I want to talk about. Or maybe they'll ask why I'm in foster care. That's not something I want to answer either. What would I say? Well you see my mom couldn't stand me, so she killed herself when I was 8! Then my dad abused me for 6 years and overdosed on heroin on the anniversary of my mom's suicide. That probably wouldn't go over well. I can't deal with these types of questions right now, not ever.

I can feel my heart beating rapidly and hear my labored breathing. My heart's beating and I am breathing, so why do neither of those seem true? I can't get enough oxygen in my lungs. I feel like my heart's going to beat out of my chest. Okay Virgil, you're okay. Keep your eyes closed. Focus on yourself.

I make a mistake.

I open my eyes.

Logan's mouth is moving, Patton looks distressed, and Roman looks terrified. I glance down at my ring. I don't see the purple color very often. Seeing my favorite color brings a little warmth until I remember the negative meaning the color has. Fear, and from the looks of the bright purple on my ring, a lot of it.

"-gil, can you tap my hand if you can hear me?" I reach towards Logan's hand. I can do it, I can hear him. "Good okay Virgil can we touch you?" I slowly nod my head yes, but thoughts swarm through my head. Touch me...why did they want to touch me? What were they going to do to me?

"Virgil stay focused. Focus on the sound of my voice. No one is going to hurt you. You're safe." I feel someone's arms wrap around me and I appreciate the warmth that is brings. I rest my head against their chest, listening to their heartbeat. I can hear someone's heart beating very fast. Is that mine? Who was beside me? Roman. Okay Roman. I focus on the feeling and sound of the beats as I count them. It's Roman. Roman's heart is beating really quickly.

"Too fast." I mumble. I feel him shake a little. Was that a sob or a laugh? I look up at him and decide that although a few tears are in his eyes, it was probably a laugh. But I didn't make a joke. Is he making fun of me. No, no he's not. He wouldn't.

Roman holds his hand up and gives me a small, reassuring smile. I place mine on his and he links our fingers together, squeezing gently. He runs his thumb over the back of my hand. "You're okay Virgil. I promise I won't let anything hurt you."

1477 Words