Chapter Fifteen: Failing at a Normal Life

I must have fell asleep sometime later, my head resting on Al's leg while I hold onto his hand tightly. I don't remember dreaming, one of the first times I haven't dreamt other than those times when my visions made me to tired to dream. I open my eyes slowly, but don't move. I shiver, sitting up slowly and looking at Al's face. He hasn't moved an inch, and that worries me even though his heart rate is normal. I sigh and hear the door open behind me. I look over and see Lucas and Jare walk in the room. I take Al's hand again.

"Anything change?" Jare asks me, and I shake my head slowly.

"No, he's still sleeping." I close my eyes at the lie, then open them and look down at Al. I brush some hair out of his face, noticing again how pale his skin is underneath the fluorescent light. I sigh, looking up at Jare and Lucas. "I wish he'd stir or twitch at least." I meet Lucas's brown eyes, noticing something in them that I've never noticed before. And I don't mean worry for Al, but something else. I look away, meeting Jare's blue eyes and seeing worry for Al and me, and how much he cares about me. He comes over to me and hugs me close. "Why did it have to be him?" I whisper, tears trying to escape.

"I don't know, but he's safe now." He looks down at me, wiping a tear away that had escaped. "You're safe." I shake my head. "What? Of course you are. That bitch is gone-"

"No, she's not. Missy came and told me something before I slapped her." They both listened as I told them what she said, word for word. Jare, with his werewolf temper, gets angry fast. I calm him down though, just by touching his cheek. Lucas on the other hand, stayed quiet. I watch him as I calm Jare down. "What are you thinking about?" I ask Lucas finally, and he looks at me with those brown eyes.

"What?" He asks, clearly lost in thought.

"What are you thinking about?" I repeat.

"What Missy said to you, do you think she's telling the truth?" He asks.

"I hate when people answer with a question." I mumble, making him and Jare smile. "At first I thought she was just crazy, but the more I thought about it, the more it sounded right. I wouldn't believe her, but I have a feeling that she's right."

"I see." Lucas leans against the wall, watching me and Jare. I see a flash of whatever that feeling is in his eyes, and I can't take it anymore.

"Can we talk?" I ask him, making Jare look at me funny. "Alone, please?" Lucas nods, walking out into the hallway. "Stay with Al for me please." I get up, heading out towards the hall when Jare catches my hand and turns me around. "Jare-" He kisses me. When he stops, he pulls away and looks at me with soft blue eyes.

"Am I still yours?" I look at him, blushing.

"Isn't that what I said?" I answer, making him smile.

"Thought you hated when people answered a question with a question?" I nod.

"I do, and you just did." He smiles and kisses my forehead. "Jare, you are mine. I just need to talk to Lucas." He nods.

"Sorry if I seem possessive, it's getting close to the full moon and it's making me kind of antsy. Or well, the beast inside me is getting antsy." I stroke his cheek.

"It'll be okay, but I need to talk to him." He nods and let's go of me, taking my spot beside Al.

"I'll watch Al."

"Thank you." I smile and kiss his cheek before I walk out and look at Lucas who's standing halfway down the hall. I head his way and lean on the wall. "What's up?" I ask him.

"I should be the one asking you that since you wanted to talk to me."

"I meant what's up with that look you keep giving me." He looks at me, and I know he's hiding his thoughts from me. "Don't lie to me Lucas." He stares at me, thinking but I can't see his thoughts.