Chapter Seven: Jared

Dad told the secretary to just let Lucas drive me to the Lowes' home since ours is still being investigated. So Lucas drove me towards their home and we talked about the past four years, but I could tell he was holding something back. But I wasn't sure what.

"Well, here we are." He says.

"How are you getting back?" I ask.

"I'll just go home. Mom's in Idaho visiting her parents and dad won't mind." He says.

"Sure?" I ask him.

"Course." I smile and start to get out when he grabs my hand. "Soph, be careful okay?"

"Of what?" I ask, but for some reason I feel like he's talking about my vision.

"Just, be careful. Please, I just got you back and I'd rather not lose you again." I nod.

"Okay Lucas. Bye." I whisper and get out, watching him get out and walk down the street. I head inside and hesitate. "Um.."

"Oh! Sophie dear! Your father told me you would be home early, why don't you go on up to the guest room and sleep?" I nod.

"Thank you, Mrs. Lowe." I head to the guest room and lay down, falling asleep before my head hits my pillow.

«^-^»

"Hey, Lucas?" I ask quietly while staring up at the stars while laying on my back in the grass.

"Yea, Soph?" He asks, mimicking me on the grass.

"We'll always be friends, right?" I chew my lip, tilting my head back to look at him since we were laying so our heads were against each other.

"Of course we will." He rolls on his stomach and looks at me.

"Promise?" I ask, lifting my pinkie towards him which he meets with his own.

"Promise." He smiles down at me, about to say something else. "Who else will you save from the monsters?"

"My daddy?"

"He doesn't know the secret I know."

"What secret?" I ask, rolling on my belly and looking at him.

"Nope, can't tell you Soph. It wouldn't be a secret if I did." He smiles at me.

"That's not fair." I pout and he laughs.

"Tell me!" I look at him, and he shakes his head.

"Nope. It's my secret. A family secret in fact." I lay my head on my hands and look up at him through my lashes. "Don't worry Soph." He ruffles my hair and I glare at him.

"Meanie! You should tell me cuz I'm your best friend!" I stick my tongue out at him.

I wake up when Al and Jare gets home from school Friday afternoon, ticked that I slept all day Thursday and most of Friday. My dream expanding doesn't even faze me now. I check my phone to see Lucas called me twice yesterday, and once today. I call his cell back, but get his voice mail. I sigh and look up at the ceiling when Jare walks in and plops down on the end of the bed. I look at him and remember him jumping at me in my vision, and shiver.

"You cold?" He asks.

"I'm fine." I tell him. "Why didn't you wake me?"

"You were sleeping like the dead." He shrugs. "So we left you be, checking on you every hour to make sure your alive." I stick my tongue out at him, my vision still reminding me that there might be more to Jare than I really know. "You hungry?"