Chapter One: The Promise

~If you have a song suggestion, lemme know, but the videos I post are meant to match the character that's picture is shown for that chapter. The pictures won't be of the "cast" if I put a "cast". If you see a grammar or spelling mistake please tell me so I can fix it. Other than that, just tell me what you think. Thanks!~

"Hey, Lucas?" I ask quietly while staring up at the stars while laying on my back in the grass.

"Yeah, Soph?" He asks, mimicking me on the grass.

"We'll always be friends, right?" I chew my lip, tilting my head back to look at him since we were laying so our heads were against each other.

"Of course we will." He rolls on his stomach and looks at me.

"Promise?" I ask, lifting my pinkie towards him which he meets with his own.

"Promise." He smiles down at me, about to say something else.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I open my eyes slowly and glare at my alarm clock, turning it off. I sit up slowly, stretching.

'I've been having the same dream since the day that promise was broken.' I think, scratching the back of my head and getting up.

I walk to the bathroom I share with my single dad and little brother. I shut the door, get undressed, and jump in a hot shower. I stand there till I wake up more, then get out and start putting my work uniform on.

A light green shirt with 'Ciara's Cafè and Music' written over the right breast pocket; a black skirt with a black apron over it; and black shoes. I brush my hair out, making the snarls and knots come out, then pull it into a tight ponytail. I head down to the kitchen where my dad sits reading the paper.

"Hello darling." He says without looking up.

"Hey dad. I'm heading to work." I grab a banana and walk over, kissing him on the cheek. "See you tonight." He sips his black coffee from his Tigger mug I got him for Father's Day.

"Be safe." He says as I head out munching on my banana as I unlock my old '79 Station Wagon with the wood border around it that used to belong to my mom when she was a kid, but when she left dad gave it to me.

I jump in, finishing my breakfast then tossing it in the little bag for trash I keep in my car. I start the car and back outta the drive way and start driving towards Ciara's Cafè and Music. I pull up behind the building where all employees are required to park. I get out and walk to the back entrance, going in and seeing Lucy at the register. I put my bag under the counter and grab my notepad for when I actually go table to table and take orders. I go to the front door and switch the sign from SORRY, WE'RE CLOSED to WELCOME, WE'RE OPEN.

"So Soph, how's life treating you?" Lucy asks, making small talk as I make my way back behind the counter.

"Good. You?"

"Pretty good." She says as the first customer comes in. We don't talk as we take care of business.

"Hi, how may I help you?" I ask, not looking up at the customer who steps up in front of me.

"My usual please." He says and I stiffen, looking up at the boy who's haunted my dreams since he broke our childhood promise to forever be friends. Only now, instead of being a little boy, he's now a teenage boy who filled out his long limbs and scrawny body. His hair is still that sandy brown, but shaggy now and partially covering his beautiful brown eyes. Even over the smell of strong coffee, I can smell his intoxicating smell of my childhood: the woods in summer and fall, with vanilla and some spice mixed in too. "Sophie?" He says impatiently and I snap out of it.