Chapter Two: The Brokehearts

I try not to look at him, but I feel his eyes on me the whole time Mr. Douglass explains the lab and how it'll take up the whole week. I hear him shift, and some of his smell drifts my way: vanilla, the woods in fall and spring, and spice. My muscles tighten, and I try breathing through my mouth without seeming weird.

"Start." Mr. Douglass says as he sits at the desk.

"Okay, so I'll get the supplies?" He asks me softly, as if I were an animal he was afraid would attack if he startled it. I give him a sharp nod as I write my name on the packet. I don't look at him as he walks away.

"Lucky." Penny mumbles behind me as she walks by. I roll my eyes and start filling out my hypothesis about what I think will happen.

"Okay so-" I glare at Lucas, and he stops talking.

"We're not gonna talk anymore than we need to." I tell him, looking back down at the packet. He sets down the supplies and leans over so his lips are to my ear, and I stiffen.

"Soph, don't be so cold, it's just a lab-" My jaw tightens when he uses my nickname, so I stand up, causing my stool to scrap on the floor loudly. Everyone looks at me, but I just glare at Lucas. "Sophie?" He asks, confusion in his eyes.

"Is everything alright?" I stare at Lucas, my ex best friend. He's the one who ended our friendship, how dare he think he can call me by that name. I glare down at him, and he looks back at me. "Sophie?" Mr. Douglass touches my shoulder gently.

"I'm fine." I say, sitting back down and going back to working on the worksheet. Everyone slowly starts working on their worksheets, except for Lucas. He just watches me as I do the lab by myself. "Stop staring or you won't get it done." I tell him while writing.

«^-^»

Finally the bell rings after what feels like forever, and I practically run out of the lab. Leaving Lucas behind, but I feel his eyes the whole time I walk down the hall. I get to my locker and spin the combo of my lock, still feeling his eyes on me. I look over my shoulders, knowing his locker is downstairs and on the other side of the school while mine is upstairs, but the Chem Lab is right beside my locker pretty much so he could be right there.

"Hey Soph." I jump as Al puts his hand on my shoulder and starts talking to me. He looks at me, unsure why I got spooked. "You okay sis?" He asks me, clearly a little worried.

"Yea, just kinda in my own little world. Get your stuff-"

"I got a ride home." He says, a slight blush creeping over his face. "If that's okay with you, dad said to ask you first and I couldn't find you all day nor did you answer any of my texts." I pull my cell out to see ten texts from Al.

"Sorry, Al." I say putting the phone back in my pocket. "Who's the friend?" He blushes deeper as a girlie hand places itself on my little brother's shoulder like what he'd done to me. I see the face appear and frown. "I'm guessing this is the friend?" I ask.

"Yea, Soph this is-" Al starts.

"I'm Missy Brokeheart." She says, extending the hand that isn't touching my little brother's shoulder for me to shake.

She smiles at me, and I take her in: big blond hair that looks natural except for the black roots; big clear blue eyes with perfectly kept eyebrows and thick eye lashes framing them; and fair skin with some light freckles sprinkling her nose and forehead. I look over her outfit to see a green tee that makes her boobs like huge, but not those nasty big ones that make the woman look like she's gonna break in half one day. Her skinny jeans hug her legs, and then black converse that make her feet look tiny. I look back at her face and her hand touching my little brother's shoulder.