Chapter 31

I wake up to the sound of glass breaking. I freeze for a moment, thinking it was Bud who dropped his beer bottle. That's impossible, Bud's in jail. I shake my head of the ridiculous thought and rush downstairs. Natalie and Andrew are picking up pieces of a broken plate.

"Didn't mean to wake you, Tris, Andrew dropped the plate on accident," Natalie says.

"I'm half awake, give me a break," Andrew says jokingly.

Natalie rolls her eyes and I smile slightly. I'm relieved that it wasn't something serious.

"What time is it?," I ask.

"About seven," says Natalie. "Want to make breakfast with us? It's pancake Sunday."

"Sure," I say, smiling.

I don't remember the last time I made pancakes with anyone. My mother used to make us smiley face ones, but she stopped after my dad said I was too old for all that kid shit. I was eight.

Natalie gracefully stirs the mixture together as Andrew prepares the pan with butter. She has a delicacy I could never have. I'm too clumsy to be that graceful. As I cut the strawberries and wash the blueberries, my mind reverts to last night. I feel a rush of heat go through me and remember the feeling of Tobias's lips against mine. I try to hide my blush by looking down. I didn't know he felt that way about me, or me about him. His eyes are careful about where they look and his touch is soft and comforting. Especially when he touches my waist. My heart is pounding as I remember his soft touch.

"You, know," Natalie says, breaking me out of my thoughts. "Tobias seems really nice."

"Yeah, he's nice," I say, trying to hide my excitement from the mention of him.

"It was nice of him to pick you up from Christinas house last night," she says.

Oh shit, I forgot I lied to them about being at Christinas.

"Yeah, he came over because of Will," I say, hoping they bought the lie. Him and Will don't even talk.

"Is that why you wanted to stay late?" Andrew says, smiling at me.

I notice that Natalie and Andrew give each other a look.

"Maybe," I say. "Maybe not."

Natalie laughs and Andrew squints his eyes at me.

It's nice to have someone who are jokingly open to talking about relationships. I mean, not that Tobias and I are in one, but I don't have to hide anything from Natalie and Andrew.

My phone vibrates in my hand.

Christina: Get ready! We are going to the mall

Me: With who?

Christina: Us, who else? lmao. I'll pick you up at 12.

I hesitate for a moment in asking Natalie and Andrew if I could go.

"What's up Beatrice? Why that face?," Andrew asks.

"Can I go to the mall with Christina at twelve?," I say hesitantly.

Natalie and Andrew give each other a look and then look at me.

"Absolutely not," Andrew says.

I shrug it off, a little hurt at the way he says it. .

"Without eating your food first," he says smiling.

"That was not funny," I say smiling.

We sit down at the table and start eating the pancakes, bacon, and fruit that Natalie prepared. I don't remember the last time I ever had a family breakfast like this. When I was little, my mom used to make us breakfast, but one day she told me to give Caleb food while she smoked her cigarette and kissed my dad. I became Calebs parent that day.