Chapter 5

Finally the end of the week. So far I have been yelled at and only gotten beat up once, that night. Paul is coming over at ten to check in, see if this place is suitable for me. My stomach starts to grumble, I didn't eat breakfast. I walk into the kitchen to get an apple and to my surprise I find Chris. Lacy's older son who is also ten. He looks innocent, but he's devious. I think on the second day I was here he broke a vase and blamed it on me. Luckily I wasn't better, but I was yelled at and locked into my room.

"Ugh, why are you still here," he says.

"I'm not leaving until Paul confirms that I have to go to another foster home..... or I will have to stay here again," I say frowning.

"Whatever. I just don't want to live in a house with a stiff," he says.

Thats what Peter and Molly call me. Honestly I don't know where that name came from, but its really starting to make me mad.

"I'm not a Stiff....," I say through my teeth.

"Yeah you are. You are a worthless piece of crap. No one will ever love anyone like you because you are a worthless stiff!," he says while taking a bite of his banana.

I'm taken back. My eyes widen and my jaw drops a bit. Rage fills me up and without instinct I run towards with and my body comes in contact with his, knocking both of us on the floor.

"I am not a stiff," I yell.

Get off me!," he yells.

He spits in my face and thats when I've had it. My hand comes in contact with his face. My hand is stinging, but I am so mad. He slowly turns towards me and tries pushing me off if him. I grab him by the hair and yank him up.

"Mom!,"he yells.

I panic a bit and release him, but I am not fast enough for as Lacy comes running in just as I push him back

"What were you doing to my son!," Lacy says.

Chris's face was a little bruised. And he was bleeding from his nose. Did I really beat him up like that? I look at him a little hurt and then at the floor. I feel the usual digging of Lacy's nails. She pulls me all the way from kitchen to my room

"You are going to stay in here until Paul comes. Teach you a lesson not to get with my kids!," she says and walks out.

I stick my tongue out at the door and sigh. Great, I got myself locked in here.

********************************

I sit up from the bed when I hear the doorbell ring. It's Paul, I know it is. I rush quickly to the door and bend down to look under it. It is him, his voice is recognizable. I hear high heels clicking, it is headed my direction. I quickly get up and lay down on the bed again, trying to even out my breathe. I flinch when then the door swings open and I sit on the bed.

"Alright, come on Paul is here," Lacy says.

I walk out the door, pushing her out of my way. At the end of the hallway stood Chris and Robin, watching me. As I pass them I glare at them and they walk to the living room were Paul is waiting.

"Beatrice, how are you?," Paul asks.

"Why do you care," I say.

I feel a pinch at the back of my left arm and gasp in air a bit. Lacy is standing behind me when I turn my head back. "I mean I'm doing fine," I respond again, with a fake smile.

"How did you like staying here?," Paul asks.

"Ummm. It was okay, but I just didn't feel comfortable," I say.