Chapter 29

My search begins back to where it first started. The first place where Caleb and I were separated. I take a bus, south of Chicago, and eventually find my way by memory. It was old and it was dirty, but it is where I lived. For ten years of my life, this was where I lived. The memories of my mother dancing in the kitchen haunts me. My dad is only a mere figment in my mind. I approach the house slowly, not wanting to cause attention.

It doesn't seem like anyone has been taking care of the yard or cleaning the front porch. I knock on the door twice. No answer. I try again. Still nothing. I open the door slowly, with the door creaking. I step inside only to see the same exact thing I saw when I was ten years old. Tears want to come out but I beg them to stop, swallowing down the pain of the day Caleb and I were separated. Why is everything still here? Shouldn't someone have claimed this place already?

I walk to the kitchen. The window is still shattered the way it was when my dad threw my textbook out. In the living room I see my old stuffed animals. Nothings changed. Not removed or replaced.

My phone vibrates in my pocket and I take it out to see who's calling me.

"Hey Tobias!," I say way to excitedly.

"Hey Prior, just calling to check in.

"How thoughtful of you."

As I chat with Tobias, I notice a couple of papers sitting on top of the refrigerator. Untouched by all the ferments roaming around, the documents seem to be in perfect condition.

"Hey Tobias, I have to call you back," I say and hang up.

Catherine made it very clear that she knows who my parents are and why Caleb and I were separated. I brush the dust away from the papers and sit down at dinner table. There were a bunch of charts and numbers with Catherines name all over them. Calebs name appears and so does mine. I can't comprehend the words I'm reading on these papers.

"Catherine Huges, Age 35.

Child for adoption: Caleb Prior, Age 2

Child of Disinterest: Beatrice Prior, Age 10

-Reasoning being that Beatrice Prior is too old for Catherine Huges's liking.

Caleb Prior and Beatrice Prior are set to be removed from the Prior home effective 2/25/2009. Caleb prior will be placed with Catherine Huges, with no exceptions. Whatever is done to Beatrice Prior is not taken into account with Catherine Huges and the separation of the siblings commences at the time of removal. Mrs. Prior is set to be paid $15,000 for the removal of Caleb Prior and an extra $8,000 to keep Beatrice Prior separated. Social worker Paul Gerald is not to be informed of such information and shall be told to keep both siblings separated based on age."

I feel an overwhelming urge to scream at the top of my lungs. My mom sold us. NO! She sold Caleb! All this time, I believed it was Paul's idea that had Caleb and I separated, but it was my own fucking mother. I shove the papers to the side and kick the table. She sold Caleb! How dare she!? The money was more important to her than her own children?

As much as I want to punch the wall, I resist the urge and pick up the scattered papers on the floor. I continue reading.

"Such procedures are set and final and cannot be adjusted. Action will proceed immediately after calls to CPS are enacted.

Date: 02/23/2009"

I pick up all the papers and start heading towards the door in a hurry. However, being the clumsy person I am, I trip over something. I catch myself on the nasty old arm chair. Beneath me is the old stuffed tiger Caleb used to play with. My Tiger lily. I pick it up and hold it close to me. I take one last glance at my old home and make amends with it. Im learning to let go. To let go of the things that are holding me back.

With that, I walk out the door. Leaving the house and its history behind.

****************************************

Sitting on the bus makes me feel tired. This entire search quest I set myself out to do wore me out. I take my phone out and see that I have 4 missed calls from Tobias. I hesitate to call him back, but I long to hear his voice.

ring ring ring

"Tris! What happened? You hung up so abruptly!," he says.

"Im fine Tobias, I just went to an old place I used to know," I say.

"What were you doing?"

"Can you meet me later? At the park down main?," I say.

"Of course," he says.

"I'll talk to you then."

"Alright, I will see you then. Prior."

I smile at the sound of my last name. The way he says it, so softly. Gently. Goosebumps send shivers down my spine.

These papers are making me question by entire existence. Why did my mom want to give Caleb up? Did she ever love me? Did all of our movie dates and playdates mean nothing? Was this her plan all along? The only way I was going to understand any of this was to start by interrogating Catherine.

However, before I start jumping to Catherines house and demanding answers, I join Tobias at the park down main.

*****

Ya'll lmaooo. Alright, listen. I started this fanfic when I was like 13. I recently visited my page and realized I had so many ideas for this story, so one thing I added to my bucket list is to finish this damn story lmaoo. So thank you to anyone who's been waiting. (probably not lol). but I hope this story is still kept interesting. Lowkey forgot most of the storyline, but its okay. Well finish this story lol

- as always, JJ