Chapter Seventeen

" Thanks you for letting me borrow your sister clothes."  Ayame said as she walked out the bathroom with cute white dress that fitted very comfortable. She felt pretty and confident but at the same time miserable. She loved her beautiful long black hair but now came to regret cutting it so short. It become a burden like her existence in Sota's life. She watched him as she realized how much she barged in his life and caused suffering.

" You can stay here as long as you need... I will stop at the store later and buy you some pajama's Sota prepared sheets on the bed in his sister room that haven't been used in centuries. He tidy up a bit to make her feel as comfortable as possible. 

"Sota, I really appreciate it but the person I want to be with, the most is my husband." Ayame informed.

" I promised to grant you what you want but I have to visit my mother today and I want you to come with me." He responded but before she could say anything, he took her hand and headed out the house. Ayame could not bring herself to pull away or say no. It was such a warm feeling and she did not want to escape.

[H O S P I T A L  R O O M 1 2 4 ]

They sign in at the front desk and received visitor passes then headed to the room that was instructed by the clerk. 

" Sota, my sweet son! Is that you? Did you come to visit?" A women in her early thirties laid on the bed with frisky brown hair. Her skin was very pale and her eye to have seem to lost its color.  She must've lost most of her weight because her bones on her skin were noticeable. The needles in her arms made it worse, giving her fluid in which her body was lacking, as she was hooked up to the machine. Her lips were very dry as her voice sounded crackly but at the same time, it was still sweet.

" Hey, Mom. This time I brought my fiancée you know, the person I always tell you about and she's quite the beauty. Her name is Ayame and she's very beautiful, her hair is short and it stop at her shoulders, it's very cute. I prefer my women with short hair anyways. She's a few inches shorter than my last girlfriend. She loves to running and received plenty of scholarships from many different colleges. She is very fit with an petite body. She take her work very serious and I can barely remember the last time I fell in love with her because everyday, she give a new reason to fall in love all over again." Sota exclaimed.

Ayame looked dumbfounded and puzzled. Firstly, not understanding his purpose for lying. Secondly, it was very weird how he describe her so precisely with that ridiculous statement following. She had many questions of why and how come he didn't used his girlfriend, Hitomi, but she didn't want to seem rude in front of Sota only family then decided to play along with the white lie since she didn't see the harm in it and wanted to see how far it could go.

" Ayame, my dear. ....Come closer...." His mother said.

" Yes?" Ayame took a step closer towards the bed of the sickly patience. His mother touched Ayame's nose, mouth, eyes, ears, jawline and felt for the structure of her face. Ayame was confused of what his mother was trying to figure out. Even though, it was uncomfortable she did not want to seem disrespectful.

" Yeah, you does seem beautiful as you say unlike your last one.. Her manners are nice and I approve of this one to be my daughter in law. She's definitely a good catch and women like her is hard to come by. Her career seem to be on the right path and don't forget to wait until marriage to have kids even though I want some grandchildren. That would be nice right would be nice." She complained.

' Your mother is really jumping the gun..' Ayame thought with a sweat drop from her forehead.

" Oh, I forgot to mention that we're going a little bit backwards. It been a reason  why I haven't visit you lately, Ayame is pregnant and due to in three months. I wanted to surprise you until your released but it's a early present." Sota chucked and rubbed the side of his head.

' And you just pulled the trigger, eh!'

" Can I please feel my grandchild?"

Ayame gently placed Sota's mother hand on her stomach and felt the baby kicked. It was really a heartfelt moment.

" Koari, your grandmother loves you very much. I can't wait to see you and hold you in my arms that should be around the time I'm released."

The nurse took pictures of them and they really looked like a nice family. Laughing and catching up on old stories. They barely realized how late it was.

" I'm getting tired, kiddos. Come visit again sometime..." She closed her eyes

" See you later, Ma" Sota kissed her on the forehead.

"It was nice meeting you, mother."  Ayame smiled.

There was a long beep on the heart monitor then the doctors and nurses rushed in the room and before they could reacted the nurses and doctors pushed them out the room.

They were the only people there 

 W A I T I N G  R O O M

Sota sigh in distress.

" Don't worry, I'm sure moth--- I mean,your mother will be fine....." 

He disregarded what Ayame said as he begin to speak." I apologize for making you lie to my mother and put on this act but you were the only person that could help me fulfill her dying wish. You see, my mother always wanted children but I don't want that kind of commiment with my girlfriend. I just needed this one favor from you and I'm forever indebted into you....You must have questions and I'll answer them" He said and stare down at his shoes as he embraced himself.

'You knew that she was dying, didn't you?'......... Sota, it's okay to cry when you're sad that doesn't make you less of a person."

" I cried when I fell off my bike in grade school, I cried when I was all alone when nobody would play with me. I cried when I do bad on a test. I cried when my father disappeared from my life and I cried when my sister left. I promised myself that no matter what happen in life I'll become the man of the house and take care of my mom."

" Did you keep that promise to yourself?"

" It was difficult to find out that my mother was blind and I had to navigate her everywhere. There were fun times helping her to figure out the darkness and reminiscing life with colors. Looking back those were actually good memories I wish I cherished. One day, I still remember the date. July 3rd, I was cooking in the kitchen and my mother fell the stairs and been paralyzed since then. I had to help her with everything and that was very hard to continue to manage every single day I wanted to die even if it meant that I could sleep. Now, that I look back, I was overexaggerating and it was not all that bad. But the seizers made her condition worse and that happened right after gramps died. She had to be emitted into the hospital and rushed to the ICU. 

" Your mother was very happy to have a son to take good care of her.  Ayame patted her hand on top of his for comfort.

A nurse entered the room with a clipboard," Your mother, the patient, have passed away. Saturday, May 16 at 6:36am

" I'm not going to cry, Ayame.... I don't regret anything"  He held her hand as tight as he could and as much as he did want tears fall down his face. They came unwillingly..