CHAPTER 21

Tap...tap..tap...

Monotone sound of pen meeting the table filled the otherwise silent office. It tapped in a rhythm, composed by a very bored looking brunette. Catherine's blue eyes bore into random pile of papers. Endless sea of documents had tortured her for hours and for once she let her mind dwell on something that wasn't Layton's shopping bill. 

A sin is not immortal, but can last without food or water for weeks. There are very few things that can kill them - That's what Layton had said on the night of their little trip. He had explained in detail how sins were stronger and in more than one way better than humans. Yeah....he was an arrogant peacock, but it had been the first genuine conversation the two have had. 

He had apologized to her...It was just as unthinkable as putting a wolf and a bunny in the same room. 

"Stop that." A dissatisfied voice loosely broke through the trail of her thoughts.

Tap...tap...tap...

"I said, stop." 

Suddenly the pen was ripped from her hand. "Huh?" Catherine glanced confusingly down at her empty fingers, slowly regaining sense of reality. 

"Did you even listen to what I say, Cavenon?" Layton's deep voice rung like a foghorn through her ears. Suddenly he had all of her attention. "Yes! I mean..no." She stumbled over the words, cringe coming onto her the very moment she realized how awkward she sounded. 

"I did warn you not to space out during your work hours. You can play brain-dead when your shift is over." 

"I dare you to say that again, mister! Actually, never mind, don't..." Se quickly corrected herself. Challenging him would only make her feel more offended  by the end of the day. "So, what exactly did you say?" Catherine sat up straight in her chair. She was one of those people with the awful habit of sitting like she had no backbone and then regretting it later in the night when it suddenly turns out that she has one after all. 

Layton gave her an annoyed look. That man hated repeating himself. "I said, contact my pilot. We will have to make a trip soon." He said, extra slowly. 

"I am not brain dead!" Catherine snapped, instantly irritated. 

"Really? Then don't act like it." The man shrugged, his gaze shifting back to computer screen. 

And now he is dismissing me...

"Fine, will do. What trip is it?" 

"One I don't want to attend, but hardly have any choice." 

Wow, he's computer will crash if he keeps glaring at it like that. 

Catherine knew better than to question him. Curiosity was killing her, but Layton looked to grumpy to respond half decently to anything. "Alrighhht...I will...go copy those papers or whatever." She quickly grabbed a random pile of documents from his desk. He needed them or not, who cares, her goal was to get out of the office before shit hit the fan. 

Once the door shut behind her, Catherine breathed a sigh of relief. Finally out from that office. Ever since she found out about Layton, he refused to leave her alone. They lived together and he even moved her work station to his office! It was getting a bit insane...

I need a break from that man. 

The young woman paused mid step when the phone in her pocket went off. Curious, she glanced at the screen. Nick's name came popping up, sparking some long absent joy. 

"Nick!" She picked up without the second thought.

"Cat!? Fucking finally! I've been trying to reach you for a week! What the hell happened!?" The familiar voice came from the other end, bring a smile on her lips.