CHAPTER 19

"She's going to find out eventually...Unless you keep deleting her memories." A voice broke through the darkness, sounding quiet and distant. 

"She's a human. She can't know." Another, lower, voice spoke. 

"Look at you, caring for her." 

"Don't be stupid." 

The voices became clearer, recognizable. One clearly belonged to Layton and the other could be his brother. "Then you're just going to wipe out her memories every time someone sends an assassin? Poor thing, she's going to forget all the fun parts." 

"She would be even bigger pain in the ass if she knew."  

If I knew what?

Catherine frowned in her sleep, consciousness slowly overtaking the darkness. 

"Look, someone's waking up." Lucas noted. She could hear the grin in his voice and already sense frown on Layton's features. 

Her eyes fluttered open. She was laying on her side on the couch, her bare shoulders covered by a suit jacket. Layton sat across from her, his muscular arms crossed over the broad chest and the usual scowl plastered on his face. Lucas stood couple steps away, still fully dressed in the silvery suit he wore to gala. Only the red tie was loosened and a glass of whiskey had made it into his hand. 

"Good morning sleeping beauty." Lucas was first to speak, lady killer smile coming to life on his lips. "You got us worried. That fall was impressive." 

Catherine felt her head pulsating unpleasantly. Whatever they weren't telling her, at least this was the truth, she did bang her head pretty hard. "What happened..." Slowly she sat up, wincing at the sudden sharp pain on her neck. Unconsciously her fingers caressed the wound. It was already bandaged and treated. 

"You disobeyed me and wandered off, hit your head and we found you unconscious." Layton cut in before Lucas could come up with his version of the story. Impressive, his face didn't even change iota when he lied. 

Catherine glared at the man, carefully sitting up to face him. The jacket placed over her shoulders slid down to her side, robbing her of it's warmth. "Is that so?" Her voice leaked heavy suspicion. "I am not buying that. I remember what happened. I was almost killed!" Her glare matched Layton's, fury tinting her sea blue eyes. 

The man sitting on the couch across from her sighed, pinching between his eyes. "Of course you do." He stood slowly, the towering built making Catherine feel small in comparison. She did not flinch away like most would when given a glare by Layton Grim himself. The pair had butted heads enough for her to get used to him trying to intimidate her. 

"You're leaving me with no other choice." He took a step closer, making her alert. "Tomorrow we're going back to Seattle and you won't remember this evening." 

Lucas sighed, watching the exchange. "Greed, this is not right." 

Greed?

Catherine stood up, ignoring the slight dizziness. "No. You have to explain what is going on. Who the fuck are you?" 

"It's none of your business." 

"Like hell it isn't! Some creepy dude almost stabbed me and you're trying to say it's none of my business!?" This exchange got her dander up in a second. "You dragged me into this! I never asked to be your assistant, or have my memory deleted or whatever! I deserve an explanation. Now!" Her demand rung loud and clear, fire in her eyes never easing as she stared at her boss. 

Silence befell the room. Both men looked at her, intensely. Lucas was like a child, watching an exciting movie, sipping casually on his drink while observing the two argue. The girl had guts.