CHAPTER 13

"So. What such a lovely creature as yourself was doing alone on New York streets?" 

Catherine's head turned from the passing scenery back the the man at the wheel. Lucas's eyes were fixed on the road ahead, but she could feel him stealing glances at her with every red light. 

"Dunno. Just talking a walk." She shrugged, barely forcing herself to act casual around the mysterious man. The odd tension never let up and every time his gaze landed on her she couldn't help the surge of need washing over her. 

"It's not safe to wander around like that. There are many dangerous people walking those streets." There was something dark in the way he said those words, menacing even. "Good thing you stumbled upon me." 

"For all I know you could be a murderer." 

"I suppose so." Lucas laughed, his smirk always present. "But worry not. I wouldn't gain anything from killing such a fair lady." 

Wow. He really does sort of remind me of Layton. 

"You better stick to that." Catherine rejoined, her fingers never stopping their nervous play with the hem of her sleeve. Mainly because she was afraid to touch anything else in the expensive ass car. It would be rather obvious even to a blind man that the owner had put hell of a lot work and money into the thing. The scent of leather hinted that it was brand new. She already had one billionaire to deal with. Having another one on her tail because she messed something up in his car would be too much even for her. 

"We're here." Lucas announced, bringing the BMW to a halt with a mighty roar of the engine. 

Catherine had been too busy studying the red and black patterns on the front panel that she had completely forgotten to keep an eye on her surroundings. 

"You have got to be fucking kidding me." The words tumbled over her lips in a not-so-quiet utter when she saw the all too familiar Grand hotel. 

"Is something the matter?" Lucas questioned, his perfectly shaped eyebrow raising in questioning manner.

"Yes. That is, no!" She fumbled with her words clumsily, cheeks heating up. "It's just that I happen to stay here." The nervous woman added, waving her hands to dismiss the topic. "It's just a business trip with my annoying boss. Nothing more." 

Why the hell did I even say that!?

"Oh." Lucas's expression changed slightly, his smirk widening into an all out grin. "I see. Then it works perfectly." He turned off the engine before getting out from the drivers seat, leaving slightly confused Catherine behind. There was just something about him that kept unsettling her. He was more similar to a Cheshire cat by second. 

"Good evening, Mr. Pierce. Allow me to take your car." A man in a red uniform offered the second the couple had gotten out from the slick auto. 

"Thank you, Jorge." Lucas handed the man the key with a perfunctory smile, patting his shoulder before the pale green eyes once again zeroed in on Catherine. "Shall we?" 

The young woman glanced down at the offered arm, interlocking her own with his after a fleeting moment of hesitation. She could feel solid muscles underneath his coat, brushing her upper arm with every step. Standing like this, she couldn't help but note how much taller he was than her. The top of her head barely reached to his shoulder. 

Lucas payed no heed to the glances upon entering the hotel. The tall, handsome bloke strode through the halls like he owned the place. Any time they would pass an employee on their way to the elevator they would nod their heads and greet him with: "Good evening, Mr. Pierce." or "It's good to see you again, Mr. Pierce."