CHAPTER 11

"What the fuck do you mean, there's only one room left!?" Layton snarled at the shaking woman sitting at the front desk.

"I-I'm terribly sorry Mr. Grim. We're packed."

"I don't care what's your pitiful excuse. Seeing as you know my name, you sure as hell know who I am. Tell my brother to take care of this situation!"

The woman's fingers shook as she typed something away on the keyboard. Catherine could see her eyes begun to fill up with tears. Layton wasn't exactly easy to deal with. The smile she had greeted them with was long gone now, replaced by a trembling lip.

Most people gathering at the lobby had their attention turned to the front desk. They whispered among themselves or remained in wary silence.

Catherine stood leaning against one of podest used as presentators for gorgeous bush of flowers. Her defensive stance earned her quite a few critical glances from elder generation. Or perhaps it was the odd mix of pencil skirt and muddy sneakers that got their attention.

She felt like an ugly smear on a silken scarf - completely out of place. The five star hotel located at the heart of downtown Manhattan was alone enough to leave one breathless with its luxury and moneyed people casually strolling through it's halls.

In five minutes they were there, she already managed to count at least five Gucci bags.

"I'm afraid he'll be returning only in the evening...My deepest apologies, Mr. Grim. I-i'm afraid there's nothing I can do." The stutter in the counter ladies voice was answered by a long, dissatisfied sigh.

"Fine. But don't think this is over. When my brother is back, he'll hear about this. That I can promise you." Layton huffed, turning on his heel the second key made it into his hand.

Many hungry eyes of groupies followed the tall figure as he strode through the lobby. A frown suited him and that was pretty much everything Catherine had seen aside from the arrogant smirk that appeared once in thousand years when he felt victorious about something.

"Let's go." He barked an order, already jabbing the elevator button.

Catherine could only roll her eyes at the outburst. "And you call me childish. Your tantrums are no better than mine." She stole a glance backwards at the employee he had yelled at before. The brunette had been replaced and brought away to the staff room by a man in a suit who appeared to be trying to calm her down.

"It's not her fault that the rooms are taken you know."

"She screwed up the reservation. Now we're stuck in the same suite." Layton adjusted his coat, eyes fixed ahead at all times, following the movement of elevator as it closed to their floor.

Okay, maybe now I get why she should be fired.

"If you can't stand me that much, why not just free yourself of this torture that is my presence?"

"I'm not firing you. If I am, then you're going to the jail."

Well, it was worth giving a shot...

The ding of elevator arriving cut the conversation short. The pair got inside, keeping a safe distance from one another. From stranger's point of view that might even seem funny.

The elevator door begun to close, when a slender pale hand appeared in a narrow gap. The metallic door parted to reveal a head of platinum blonde hair and big brown eyes that were rimmed by black eyeliner.

From the first glance alone it was clear that she was one of these women. Seduction was what they did best and the small curve of her jungle red lips and sway in her hips as she walked inside the cramped space made it all too obvious. Her dress just barely rode her long slender legs and her cleavage nearly shouted to be noticed.