CHAPTER 5

~Layton

From his desk in Seattle city, Layton stared at the bounty on his large display, reading over the information for the fifth time that day. He pulled his Intelli-glasses off and shuddered slightly, running his hands down the sides of his face. He stared up at the ceiling of his office and released a long, low groan that could almost have been related to a growl.

It had been a long time since a bounty had been placed on him, though, not so long ago he was tangling with the latest bunch of Vatican based Assassins, they had nearly blown the building he sat in now to pieces. It was only at the last moment his agents had discovered the first of the explosives and a building wide sweep was performed.

Leaning back in his chair, Layton felt it tilt backwards as he studied the visually perfect metal that made up the box he spent his working days in when he was filing paperwork. His acute vision could see the tiny imperfections, the atomic structure of the ceiling, and the heat that displayed itself on the atomic level. He rapidly found himself lost in gazing at the metals structure, his mind calculating its density and what it could be melted down into to create something besides just a simple metal plate in his ceiling.

He was jostled from his thoughts a moment later when his sister appeared on his desk with a crack of breaking reality. She lounged upon it in a pseudo-sexual pose that would seduce most men of his position into ravishing her upon the desk, and her body was one that could stand it. She was a vision of beauty, her form wasn't slender necessarily, but she had curves in all the places that drew the eye, and in her current attire, a very revealing ladies business suit, she could draw nearly anyone's eyes.

She stared at him for a long moment before the raised brow on his face brought her back to her senses. She smiled lightly, and sat up, to the edge of the desk, not upsetting a single file, or folder that was stacked neatly on the end, not disturbing his computer interface, or knocking over the pen-well that sit beside his interface. As she sat beside the files, she didn't even seem to displace the desk's surface.

"Vanity..." He began.

She shook her head, and scrunched up her face, "Lunchtime. You haven't eaten in fifteen hours." she interrupted him.

"Since when are you the caring sister?" Layton released a sigh.

"Have no mistake, I'm not." She spoke, her tone holding a dark tint to it. "I heard you have a new toy. I thought humans weren't worth the time these days. Too short lived and fragile." She spoke, repeating what he had once said. "Is it her soul?"

Layton frowned deeply, his hands forming into a fist. "Is that why you're here?"

"Not quite." His sister, Victoria as humans call her, spoke, flipping through some restaurant's menu. "I think I'll have Coq au Vin. I would prefer a young man's soul, but I guess I'll have to wait until next action. Speaking of witch, Lust already set a date. 21st of December. Will you attend?"

"I will." Layton rumbled, turning in his seat he stared out at the Seattle skyline. "Is that all?"

"What do you plan to do with her?"

"With who?"

"That girl. If you just wanted her soul, you would've taken it by now without hiring her. What's so special about her?" She interrogated.

"It's none of your business, Vanity." His voice held power to it and eyes flashed golden, fleetingly showing his true, sinister nature.

A feminine chuckle echoed through his office. "Have fun with her Avarice...Just don't get carried away." She winked, elegantly standing up from where she was sitting on his desk and leaving his office. Layton watched her go in reflection on the windows, half smile making its way to his lips.

That human girl was part of his game, just another thing to erase the boredom. If she didn't meet his expectations....he would take her soul. She wasn't anyone special, a mere entertainment, that's all.