Let's End This

I turn my truck off and turn to the boys.

"You ready to end this?" I ask.

Murphy loads his gun and looks me dead in the eye.

"Let's end this."

We snake around to the back door almost silently. I slowly crack the door open and peak inside. When I'm sure the coast is clear, I push the door open and the four of us slip inside. We split up and surround the circle. On my signal, we moved in.

(-)

"Late last night, the scattered remnants of the Italian mafia gathered in this warehouse down East 7th Street, but none made it out alive. Police say the meeting turned deadly when one of the members started shooting, then turned the gun on himself."

We were watching the news, and the reporter was saying exactly what we wanted to hear.

"Would any of you like a whiskey?" Doc said from behind the counter. Yup. We had decided to hide to hide out at McGinty's since the boys hadn't seen Doc since they'd been out.

"Is that a real question?" Murphy asked.

While Doc poured drinks, I decided to get my extra clothes from my truck and change. The clothes I wear for jobs are not at all like the ones I usually wear. Once the cool air hits my face, I stop and take a moment to breath in the fresh air. Well, almost fresh. This is Boston.

I go back inside and change. When I'm done, I sit down for a drink.

"I'm sorry lassy," Doc says. "Your name seems to have slipped my mind."

"My name's Jenny," I say.

"Right, right. And, uh, how do you know the boys?"

"Well, I have the misfortune of being related to them." I go on and explain everything to him- our mother, Kayla and Aiden, Carl and my baby. Everything. When I'm done, there's a moment of silence.

"Well, I'm terribly sorry to hear that, deary. But, if you think about it, without any of that tragedy, there wouldn't be any happiness. For example, you were reunited with your brothers. I see so much happiness in your future, Jenny."

"Thank you, Doc."

We all drink until the sun comes up, then we crash all over the floor in the loft where Doc stays.