Leaving Home

"You guys are gonna have to find another place to stay," Eunice informs us. "Now that the mob knows where you live, you're safety is completely jeopardized."

"They can leave," I say, gesturing to the three men on the couch. "I have a ranch to keep running."

"Jen," Smecker says softly. "If you stay, they can find you. You need to leave or they will come for you."

"I know what I'm risking and it's worth it. I have too many animals on this ranch that need taken care of and I just had to get two knew dogs. That means I'm shirt three to protect the horses and chickens."

"We can take care of the ranch, Jen. You have to leave. If not, you'll risk-"

"I know what I'm risking, and my ranch is worth it. I promised my mother I'd make a life for myself and this is it. This ranch has been here for eight years and has been here for me when no one else was. I'm not just going to leave." As if knowing what was going on, Buttercup (one of my three cats) hops into my lap.

"Jen," Connor tries. "They know where we are. Our lives are on the line damn it."

"And my ranch is on the line. Seriously, every day the animals need fed. The cats, dogs, chickens. The eggs need collected, chickens counted, horses brought in and checked, and the fence scanned. Now how is that going to get done without me being here because I'm pretty sure you two couldn't do it." I gesture towards Smecker and Eunice.

"We have people who can take care of the ranch," Smecker tries.

"Let me guess, Dolly and Duffy? I know them and I can tell you they couldn't take care of a ranch if it came with an instruction manual and tutorial."

"Actually," Eunice pipes up. "I have cousins who grew up on a ranch and are willing to stay here and take care of the animals. You don't have to worry about a thing."

Tears fill my eyes.

"But this is my home. I can't just leave my babies." I hug Buttercup. Murphy crouches next to my chair.

"Beleive me, it's the best choice."

"Ok. But I get to talk to them before we leave."

(-)

"Sugar prefers oats over treats. Sunshine's treats are in the blue bag. Whatever you do, do not give her regular treats. They upset her stomach. If you ride, do not ride Alien. He only listens to me."

I had spent the past half hour explaining the ranch to Eunice's cousins, Blanche and Sadie.

"Please, take care of my ranch. It's my home and these animals are my babies."

"Your ranch is in good hands," Sadie assures me.

With that, I load my truck and leave with my brothers and the Mexican.