Spilled Secrets

"So tell me, how the fuck do you know our family prayer?"

"Ah shit." I pinched my nose. I knew it would raise some red flags, but I knew I had to respect my ancestors by saying the prayer. They weren't supposed to know for a while.

Eunice was going to kill me.

"Boys, sit down. This is going to take a minute."

"What the fuck do you mean this is going to take a minute?!" Connor yelled.

"Sit the fuck down Connor!" Suprisingly, he obeyed. "Now, like I said, this is going to take a minute. In order to tell you how I know the prayer, we have to go back a long time ago. Back to a man and woman in New York city, who couldn't take care of triplets, two boys and a little girl."

"Who?!" Murphy demanded.

"We'll get to that later. The father was in a very dangerous business and had to leave his wife and children. The mother couldn't take care of the three, so a friend took the daughter in. She raised her as her own, but never forced the girl to love her. She made sure she knew who her real family was even though she could never meet them. Then one day, when the girl was about 17, tragedy struck and the girl was on her own."

"So that's it?" Romeo asks.

"Pretty much."

"That still doesn't explain why the fuck you know something so personal!" Connor yells.

"Oh you're such a fuckin retard!" Murphy yells. "Obviously she's the little girl."

Confusion crosses Connors face before he finally realizes what I've been saying. I grab the picture frame off the end table next to me and hand it to him. It contained two pictures: one of myself as a child and one of the boys and our mother.

"It's the girl from our dreams," Connor whispers almost incoherently.

"Dreams?" I ask.

"Ever since we can remember, we've had dreams of this little girl," Murphy gestures to the picture. "We could never figure it out though..."

"Well looks like you found out," Romeo parks up. "I'll let you figure out your little family drama in private. I'm going to bed." With that he leaves us alone.

After a few silent moments, Connor speaks up.

"So you knew the prayer..."

"Because my stepmother, Kayla, taught it to me. Our mother wanted me to know it."

"What happened that left you on you own?" Murphy asked with caring eyes. I felt a lump rise in my throat.

I hadn't talked about Kayla and Aiden's death in ages.

(-)

"That's terrible," Connor stated. "I can't believe you had to go through that. Especially at such a young age."

"Why didn't you try and find us?" Murphy asks.

"I did. Trust me, I did. After years of looking, I gave up. Then I saw that there was a manhunt out for you. Eight years passed and I still hadn't found you. Then you came back. Then you got arrested and Smecker and Eunice found me."

"So, what made you stop looking?" Connor asked. "You were so determined, why just... give up?"

I let out a small chuckle.

"That's another long story for another time," I say, standing up and stretching. "Right now, we need to get some rest. Goodnight."

I head to my room.