My Dogs

"Murphy, did you hide my boots again?" I yell across the house. It's been a week since I told the boys my big secret. Luckily, Eunice and Smecker haven't dropped by.

"No, you left them outside last night," Murph yells back.

Right, they were covered in mud. I step out the back door and catch something out of the corner of my eye.

Did someone just disappear behind the house?

I immediately run back inside and grab my gun.

"Jen, is everything ok?" Connor asks.

"Someone's outside," I answer curtly. With that, all three boys grab their guns and we head out the back door.

We decide to split up, Connor and Murph, me and Romeo. We walk around to the other side of the house. I peek around the corner to see two men planting a bomb on my porch.

"What the fuck is that?" Romeo whispers.

"It's a bomb. And the front door's the trigger."

I see Connor's head poke around the side of the house and give him a nod. We come out if our hiding places.

"Dont fucking move!" I yell. "Put your hands where I can see them! Step off the porch! Get on your knees!" They obey my commands.

We approach the two men.

"Who sent you," Murphy demands.

"You know who sent us." I assume this one's in charge.

"The Yakavetta hoard," Romeo pipes up.

"Who's leading you?" Connor asks.

"Some dumbass named Rob. No one knows anything but that. He only rose to power cause he grew up with the Yakavettas."

"Wait," I interrupt. "Why are snitching?"

"I have nothing to lose but my own life. Besides, the Italian mafia won't last long with him in power."

I looked at Connor and Murph. They give me a look that tells me everything.

"Alright, get the fuck off my property." I drop my gun.

Without hesitation, the two men get up and start to leave.

"Wait," I say, realizing something. "Where the fuck are my dogs?"

They share an equally terrified expression and glance toward the end of my driveway. Terror fills me and I take off running.

When I reach the end of the driveway, I see every single one of my dogs. Not one of them is alive.

I stomp back up the driveway.

"You mother fuckers shot my dogs!" I scream. I walk up to the first one and pistol whip him. The other, I kick in his groin.

"Get them off my property while I prepare a proper grave for my dogs." I stomp of toward the shed, tears blurring my vision.

(-)

Five makeshift graves.

Jessie, Betsy, Dolly, Little Anne, and Old Dan.

I'd had these dogs since I started my ranch five years ago. I had no others.

And Anne was pregnant.

I turn away from the graveyard and start toward my house.

"Jen," Murph calls after me.

"I'm calling the pound to see if they have anything I can bring home. Get that damn bomb off my porch." I go through the back door and grab my phone. Ten minutes later, I have two dogs to pick up.

I leave without a word.