The First Job

"So here's the deal," Smecker announced. We'd been living a quiet life for nearly two months. Now, it was time for our first job. "The Yakavetta family is gone, but their horde still lives. There's a meeting tonight." He hands me a slip of paper with an address and time on it.

"Quick question," Murphy speaks up. "How much longer are we going to do this?"

"Our plan is to just get rid of the Yakavetta horde," Eunice answers. "We figured if they were gone, a lot of peace would be brought not only to you, but to the rest of Boston."

"It would be a big peace," Connor says. "After all, they've taken so much from us already. Rocco, Da, nearly Rome."

"I say we nail them to a tree and use them for target practice," Romeo pipes up.

"Forget that," I say. "If you really want to do something, skin them alive and soak them in hydrogen peroxide." Everyone gave me strange looks, but I didn't care. I was too busy trying to push the images of my stepfather being tortured in front of me out of my mind.

"Ok, you're scary." Romeo finally breaks the silence. "I suggest we all stay on her good side."

"Well," Eunice says. "I guess we'll leave you to your planning, you only have about two hours until the meeting." They leave and we're left to our planning.

                             (-)

The meeting was in an abandoned warehouse on the edge of town. I park the truck a block down the road in order to not raise suspicion.

I felt a bit awkward in my outfit. It wasn't my usual work clothes, instead I was wearing a halter top that showed way too much skin. My black leather skirt was so short I could feel the cool spring breeze in places it wasnt supposed to reach. Since I was already pretty tall, I couldn't wear heels. Instead, I wore tall combat boots that highlighted the length of my legs.

The plan was to go in, act as a bartender, and let the boys in through a trap door under the bar.

When I knocked on the door, a large man with a beard let me in. I made my way to the bar, swinging my hips seductively the whole way. While I poured drinks, I listened to all the men shouting at each other in Italian. Little did they know, I understood every word of what they were saying.

"We have to cancel the shipment. With the Saints out, it's too dangerous to try and bring it in."

Shipment?

"But that shipment was supposed to last us through summer! What are we supposed to do now?"

"We're going to receive smaller shipments more frequently to keep our customers satisfied. Now, I'm sending you all the list of shipments." A series of dings were heard from around the room from the nine other cell phones. I chose this time to lift the trap door.

They boys come out, hand me my gun, and start shooting everyone except the big bearded guy standing in the middle of the room. When everyone else was dead, the brothers threw him onto his knees and started their prayer.

"And shepherds we shall be-" I slide in between them, aiming my gun at the man's head. They both gave me a strange look, but I continued the prayer. I didn't care about the suspicion it would raise. All I cared about was the fact that this mafia had caused so much pain in the life I hadn't even known I had.

My da's gone and I never got the chance to meet him. All because of these people.

"For Thee, my Lord, for Thee."

They join me.

"Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. En nomini patri, et Fili, e spiritu sancti."

When it was all over and we were back on the ranch and cleaned up, Connor finally asked the question that I knew had been on everyone's mind for hours.

"So tell me, how the fuck do you know our family prayer?"