Backstory

I pulled into the driveway, noticing an unknown vehicle.

Must be one of Kayla's Mary Kay costumers.

I walk inside, hanging my keys on the hook and placing my paint-stained work shoes on the shelf.

"Kay! I'm home!" Its much too quiet for a Saturday. I grab the pistol from behind the shelf and start searching the house.

"Kay?" I call as I tiptoe into the kitchen.

"I've been waiting for you," an unknown voice greets me.

"Who the fuck are you?" I demand, receive nothing but a small chuckle in return. Out of nowhere, an arm appears from behind me and grabs my hands. After a few moments of struggle, he disarms me and I'm tossed to the ground.

"Dear Jenny, did your mother not teach you any manners?" The man who disarmed me grabs me by the hands. Despite my struggles, he ties them together, throws me over his shoulder, and hauls me upstairs. I start screaming, but he swings my head into the wall.

I hear a door open, but from my position I can't see which one. The man throws me to the floor and I here muffled cries of protest. I look up to see Kayla and Aiden tied the same as me with duct tape over their mouths. I realize that we're in the bathroom and the bathtub is full. The smell burns my nose.

"Kayla, how could you neglect to tell Jenny about her uncle?" Uncle? I turn to Kayla. She had told me she was an only child.

"You have a brother?" She frantically shakes her head.

"Oh, come on, Kayla. Just because your parents didn't birth me doesn't mean we were never siblings." What?

Noticing the confusion on my face, the man walks over to Kayla. And rips the tape off.

"Here, why don't you explain."

"Kay, what does he mean?"

"Jen, when I was not much older than you, my parents brought Jack in. He had been thrown out on the streets and had nowhere to go. He lived with us for a few months before brutally killing our cat, and after about a year later, my parents. I ran away in fear of my own life."

"Oh come on, when you put it like you make me sound bad."

How do you make it sound good?

"Not only did you run away, Kayla, but you took away my fun. Now that I've found you," he leaned down close to her face. "I'm about to have a lot of fun." He turns to the other man. "Lay him out."

He grabs Aiden by the hands and drags him across the floor until hes laying straight across the floor. He pulled out a knife.

"Jenny, you're what? A sophomore, maybe junior? Well, there's one thing they can't exactly show you in reality." He grabs Aiden's arm. "And that is what's actually on the inside of a human being."

He cuts Aiden's arm and starts removing the skin. Kayla's screams fill the room and I'm stunned to silence.

He continues until Aiden's arms, legs, and face are bare. Then the other man picks him up and starts toward the bathtub.

In that moment, everything clicks. I realized that wasn't water in the tub. It was hydrogen peroxide and that's why my nose burned so bad. I come out of my shocked state and start screaming. It's then I realize I'd been crying.

All of a sudden, I felt something snap inside of me. With strength I didn't know I had, I kept to my feet and grabbed my gun from the mans waistband. But it was too late.

The man threw Aiden's limp body into the tub like a ragdoll before turning on me.

"Don't fucking move!" I scream. All I can hear are Aiden's screams and Kayla's sobs. I stare the man dead in the eyes for what feels like eternity. Suddenly, the screams stop.

"No!" Kayla sobs.

What?

Jack appears from behind the man with a bloody knife and that's when it clicks. I turn the gun on him. He clicks his tongue.

"Jenny, I'm impressed, I really am. But I do you really have what it takes to kill someone? To take away their life?" He crouches next to Kayla. My hands tremble. A hand grabs my throat.

On impulse, I twist my hands behind me and shoot the man in the stomach. When he falls, I shoot him in the head.

Kayla screams.

I look up to see the knife stuck in her stomach. I drop the gun.

"Well, I guess I was wrong." He stands and makes his way toward me. "You know, there's a killer in everyone." He wraps his arm around my waist.

I punch him in the groin and throw him to the ground. I pick up the gun and land three shots to his chest. Then I turn to Kayla.

"Kay, you're gonna be ok, everything's gonna be fine, we're gonna be fine..." My tears drown out my words.

So much blood.

"Jen, you have to go." She's struggling with her words. "You have to go find your mom and your brothers. Dont dwell on this."

"But Kay, you're my mother. You took me in when no one would. You've loved me as your own. I can't leave you."

"You have to. You can't stay here." She kisses my forehead. "Please, make a life for yourself. For me." She coughs and blood covers her lips. Then the life dranes from her eyes.

I manage to pull myself off the floor and make my way to my bedroom. I throw some clothes into a dufflebag and grab my homeschool computer.

I have to finish school. I have to make a life for myself. For Kay.

I grab my keys and run out the door. When I get to my truck, I call 911.

"911 what's your emergency?"

"I heard screams from my neighbors house. I'm not sure what's going on but its frightening." I gave my address and hung up the phone. With that, I left the town I called home my whole life and never looked back.

I was sixteen.

------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for such a long chapter. I just figured Jen's backstory should be as long and tragic as possible. Hope you enjoyed!