Chapter 4

"Arch mage Damian?" A woman dressed in peach colored robes with a pale blue hood and dark blue accents knocked on the door to the Arch mage's room located in the west wing of the palace.

"The prime minister and other high ranking officials request your presence in the meeting room." She said softly with a hint of reluctance in the tone of her voice.

The said Arch mage groaned as he flipped onto his stomach on the king sized bed on one side of the room.
"I'll be there." He hissed through clenched teeth and sent the woman on the other side of the door on her way.

She opened her mouth to say a few words but closed it instead. With one last saddened look at the door, she left, her footsteps leaving echoes throughout the hall.

Damian sat up and ran his hand through his hair. "Another shitty day....." He grumbled and got out of bed, flicking his hand toward the bathroom door. With a small click, it opened on its own and closed as the mage went through.

With another flick of his hand the faucet in the sink turned on, water flowing through the drain.

He scooped up water with his hands and splashed it onto his face. He looked up at the mirror sitting above the sink and pursed his lips into a straight line.

Looking at this reflective device on the wall brought about memories he could never forget, memories about him.

He stared at his reflection on the mirror, dark red eyes staring back, his black hair, messy and sticking up in random areas, his face pale from lack of needed nutrients, and large eye bags gotten from plenty of sleepless nights.

He grit his teeth, he really wanted to punch something or someone, but refrained from thrashing his bathroom and focused on getting ready instead.

With great reluctance to face those old annoying geezers, he slowly walked to the meeting room, a frown etched onto his face.

The city was bustling with people, stalls filled with goods littered the sides of the streets. All in all, it looked like the city was preparing for a celebration. Banners hung from strings stretched across one side of the streets to the other. Houses and buildings adorned with colorful decorations and small glowing low ranked monster cores connected through ropes. It was really colorful and the atmosphere was filled with glee.

Kael and Rune found an inn and checked in for a couple of days. It was quite a shock to the innkeepers when a long haired beauty and a wolf standing at the same height as the beauty next to it, waltzed in through the front doors.

The inn automatically fell into silence as the two made their way to the front, all eyes on them.

The inn was divided into three floors, the first floor being the check in counter and a diner, the second and third floors being the rooms where guests can retire.

"Um...H-hello......would you like to stay for a night or two?......" The lady manning the counter stuttered, an expression of fear and wary as the two stopped in front of her.

"A couple of days please." Kael took out a monster core and plopped it on the counter.

A monster core can be used as payment in establishments if the person does not have coins. Since the establishments owners can exchange the cores for coins at the guild. Then the guild gives the cores to the people who make lamps or monster core powered stoves. Its a never ending cycle of give and take, or profits.

The lady behind the counter widened her eyes in shock as she stared at the fist sized core. "A couple days?!?! This can hold out for two weeks at most!!!" She thought as she shakily cupped the core in her hands. "With meals for you and your companion?....." She looked warily at the wolf standing beside the man.

"Yes please."

At first glance, the lady thought this person was a woman......a really flat chested one.....but upon further inspection, this persons gender was in fact male. How she envied this persons looks......

She gave the man a key to a room on the third floor, as the second floors rooms were all taken. Kael took the key and made his way to the stairwell located at the right side of the counter, to the left was the kitchen.

"W-wait! Your change!" The lady called out as she leaned over the counter.

"You can keep it." Kael flashed her a gentle smile and continued up the stairwell, Rune following behind him. He didn't know of the lifetimes worth of fantasies and erratic beating heartbeats and flushed faces he gave the inhabitants of the first floor. Oh poor them....if our mage wasn't the protagonist of this story, the author would have gladly given him to you..... Sadly, it is not to be.....

"Rune, it seems there's a festival happening in a couple of days. It seems like the perfect day for a grand entrance, doesn't it?" Kael sat by the window in a wooden chair, facing the glass and looking at the scenery down below, people were walking around and chatting.

Rune let out an amused huff as he lay his head on his master's lap. His masters hands immediately went to petting and rubbing its head.

"You think so too? Well then, its going to be a grand festival." An evil glint in his eyes made the wolf shudder unintentionally, as well as the terrifying smirk plastered on his masters face. How terrifying! This wolf would never want to be on the receiving end of his masters evil thoughts.

"Your majesty, I came to report an incident at the southern gates!" The same man who greeted the mage and wolf kneeled down in front of a man sitting on a golden throne. A crown on top of his head and a long flowing cape draped around his shoulders.

"Go on...."

After the guard relayed his message, the king had a glint in his eyes, "Interesting...... It seems this festival is also a welcome home party, apart from it being a funeral and celebrating the heroes return. I wonder how our arch mage will react to this, oh boy..." The king shook his head playfully as a small smile tugged on his lips.

"Interesting indeed."

(Now that I think about it........I'm making Kael too OP...lol.......a short 'battle' is coming next chapter...maybe...i say short battle cause i have no idea how to write an action scene....so.....and I'm kinda regretting making this about a thousand year old grampa this powerful....lol..........oh well!
Don't worry, there is only one other individual who is more powerful than gramps over here...he may or may not appear in future chapters...)