Chapter Six

The corridors were empty of students. Mariko’s footsteps echoed through them as she shuffled towards her Maths class. She had just finished a flute lesson and had to rush back to class without missing out on all of it. Usually, she would have had her lesson after school, but because of complications, she couldn’t do that today.

Her small arms struggled to keep her textbooks, sheet music and flute in her grasp. As soon as she reached the door, she sighed and pushed it open with her hip. Every pair of eyes landed on her when she entered the room.

“Ah, a flute lesson,” the teacher smiled. “That’s fine, Mariko. Go take a seat next to Mr. Hitachiin in the back there.”

All the teachers called her by her first name, not because her father was the head of the school board, but because she didn’t want anyone to know that she was his daughter. Her violet eyes moved to look at the back of the classroom, to find the twins and Haruhi sitting there and the empty seat was next to Kaoru. Another sigh escaped her lips, as she walked down the aisle to the table. Slipping in the seat, she placed her textbooks and sheet music on the table and her flute on the floor by her feet.

She could feel Kaoru’s eyes on her as she gazed to the front of the classroom. This continued as the minutes ticked by and the class drew to an end. The class was a bore. She would much rather have been playing her flute. She watched as the class quickly rushed out of the room, rushing to leave.

Her hand gripped the handle of her flute case and she slid off the chair. The room was dead silent, but Mariko wasn’t the only one in there. A pair of olive green eyes stared at her back as she struggled to lift all her stuff into her arms.

“Let me, Mariko,” a voice echoed from behind her.

Mariko shook her head and began to walk towards the front of the classroom. It didn’t take long until her textbooks slid out of her arms, leaving only her flute, music and pencil case in her arms. She huffed and placed her stuff on a table. It was so frustrating. A lock of blonde hair fell in her eyes, as she dropped to the floor. She pushed her hair behind her ear.

“Mariko, seriously,” the person said. “Let me help you. We are both heading to the club anyway.”

The orange haired twin dropped next to Mariko and took her textbooks from her arms. Mariko tried to take them back from Kaoru’s arms, but he stopped her.

“Mariko, just let me help you.”

Another huff left her lips. She stood to her feet and smoothed out her yellow dress, before grabbing her flute and music. How could Kaoru carry both his books and hers? Why was he acting so nice? He usually was so annoying.

********

“Come on, Mariko. You can keep going. All the ladies love your playing,” Tamaki said, trying to persuade his sister to continue playing.

Mariko had been playing her flute for the past hour and a half. Her mouth was dry, her fingers hurt from holding down the buttons on her flute and her arms ache was holding up her flute. She shook her head and mumbled under her breath so only Tamaki could hear.

“No, Brother. I can’t continue. It won’t sound any good. I’m tired. I need a break.”

Involuntary, a yawn escaped her lips. Fortunately, Tamaki gave in. He heaved a sigh and nodded, before going off to her clients. Mariko cleaned her flute, before jumping off her stool. She wandered around the music room to find somewhere private to sit. None of the areas were free; they were all inhibited by one of the hosts and his clients.

The small girl sighed and walked over to the one host who had no clients surrounding him. Kyoya. She sat on the couch opposite him and looked at him, curiously. His eyes were set on his black book, until he felt her gaze on him.

“Hello Mariko, what are you doing?” he asked, softly.

Mariko just shrugged and leaned against the armrest of the couch. Her eyelids drooped. She was so tired.

“Tamaki told me about what happened,” he whispered, placing his black book on the coffee table between them. “About the nightmare.”

Mariko’s eyes shot open and she stared at Kyoya with big eyes. Tears welled in her eyes, threating to spill. She didn’t like to have people know about the nightmares. Kyoya only knew because he was at their home when one of them resurfaced. He had seen what happened to her. Her vision blurred with tears and she dropped them to look at her lap.

“Oh Mariko,” Kyoya mumbled. He stood to his feet and moved to sit next to the small girl. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders cautiously, hoping she wouldn’t flinch away. She didn’t. Instead, she curled into him, resting her head on his shoulder. “Nothing’s going to happen to you. I promise you. Tamaki and I promise you that.”

Mariko nodded, raising a hand to wipe at her eyes. “I know,” she whispered. “Thank you.”

“You don’t have to stay here. You can call for someone to come and collect you,” Kyoya told her, brushing a lock of blonde hair off her cheek. “You need some rest.”

“I don’t want to go home. I want to stay here.”

Kyoya mumbled a soft fine and grabbed his black book back off the table. Mariko was still curled into his chest, as the tall boy studied his book. Her eyelids drooped over her violet eyes and she was slowly lulled to sleep by the sounds and noises of the host club.

A rare smile lifted onto Kyoya’s lips and he looked down at the sleeping blonde. She was sleeping peacefully.

For once.