Chapter Five

Tamaki sat in one of the many sitting rooms of his family home, doing his homework. It was quiet and peaceful, until a faint screaming broke it. It had happened again.

“Tamaki, go check on your sister,” his father ordered.

The tall boy replied with a nod, before rushing out of the room, towards his sister’s. It was late at night and Mariko was sleeping peacefully in her room. Well, she was meant to be. Tamaki sat on the edge of his sister’s bed, gently placing a hand on her arm. The screaming continued, as Tamaki whispered softly to her and shook her gently.

Minutes later, Mariko’s eyes shot open and she jumped into Tamaki’s arms. She was hyperventilating and beads of sweat were falling down her forehead. Her bright violet eyes were shut tightly and she was clinging to her brother, who was rubbing her back.

“It’s alright,” he whispered, soothingly. “It was just a dream.”

“No, it isn’t,” Mariko sobbed. “It’s not a dream. It’s real. I’ve seen it happen.”

Tamaki gulped, he knew exactly what she was talking about. Slowly, his fingers brushed across her forehead, moving the hair away and pressing a soft kiss to it.

“It’s alright. I’m here to protect you. She won’t even get in here.”

Her small body quivered in his arms, as she buried her face in his chest. Tamaki continued to sooth her, helping her to calm herself from the recurring nightmares. He had to protect her. He wasn’t able to protect her the first time; he sure was going to the next time.

His eyes dropped to look at his sister, noting that her breathing had shallowed and her eyelids had fluttered shut. Softly, almost gingerly, he moved her off his lap and back to lie on her bed. He pulled the covers up to her chin. Pressing another gentle kiss to her forehead, he turned to leave the room.

“Don’t leave me, Brother,” Mariko’s soft voice whimpered. “She’ll come back.”

Taking a deep breath, he looked over his shoulder at his sister. “Okay, Mariko. I’ll protect you.”

He walked back over to the bed and laid down on it, over the covers. It was just like it used to be. When they were younger and the nightmares came to Mariko in the night. Tamaki would lie on top of the covers and sleep there, his hands cupping his younger sister’s hand, reminding her that he was there to protect her.

Yeah, I know it’s short, but I couldn’t think of anything else to add. Plus I think this is all this chapter needs.