Chapter Three

Mariko wandered into music room three, carrying her flute and messenger bag. She had just had her flute lesson and she usually would spend her lunch times practising. Normally, she would practise in a secluded area of the gardens, but her brother insisted that she practised in the clubroom today. Mariko tried to refuse, but Tamaki wouldn’t allow for it.

She hurried into a darkened corner, glad that nobody else was in the room. Mariko quickly opened her flute case and put her flute together. Soon, a beautiful melody was flowing out of her flute. Unfortunately, this was broken only minutes later by yells coming towards the music room, before the door slammed opened and all the host club walked in.

“What were you doing with that dress?” her brother yelled at the two orange haired twins. “Were you harassing my dear Haruhi again?”

Mariko grumbled softly under her breath, placing her flute back down and marching over to the boys. Once reaching them, she crossed her arms over her chest and stood there. None of them noticed her until she huffed loudly. An annoyed look was wiped across the blonde girl’s face. She hated being interrupted, especially while she was practising her flute. All the boys looked to her, guilt crossing Tamaki’s face. He knew exactly why Mariko was angry.

“Mariko,” Tamaki said, running a hand through her hair. “I’m so sorry.”

Mariko didn’t respond, just glared at her brother, before turning on her heels and walking back over to her flute. All the boys, except for Tamaki, followed her, watching her fall on the couch with her music book. Her eyes flickered over the notes of her latest song. The twins reached over to pick up Mariko’s flute, only to be slapped on both their hands.

“Ouch,” they both mumbled. “Who knew she could slap like that.”

Mariko ignored them, continuing to study her new piece.

“I never knew you played flute, Mari-chan,” Honey said, looking at Mariko in interest.

Mariko just nodded, still reading her new music. The notes, to her, were as easy to read as the words in a normal book. She still was angry at the boys, but the only one that knew how bad it could get was Tamaki and he was currently in the corner, sulking because he interrupted his sister’s playing.

The sheet music was pulled from Mariko’s hands by the person sitting next to her. Her violet eyes glared at the boy, otherwise known as Kaoru Hitachiin. Haruhi had taught her how to tell them apart, which after Mariko realised the slight differences; she found it quite easy to tell them apart. Kaoru smiled, leaning down to her ear.

“There’s no need to have that grumpy face, Mariko,” he whispered, his hot breath hitting Mariko’s ear. “It ruins your beautiful face.”

He pulled back and studied Mariko’s face, hoping to find a blush or any sign like that, but found nothing. The young girl only glared at him, yanking her music out of his hands.

“What is with you, Mariko?” Hikaru said, completely oblivious to everything, especially her annoyance. He had only just noticed her glare, because it was pointed at his brother.

Mariko groaned in frustration, slamming a pillow against her face. Mumbles and mutters filled the area around the blonde girl, as footsteps left the corner.

“Mariko, stop stressing,” a soft voice whispered. “They didn’t mean to interrupt you, anyway we didn’t all do this, it was only the twins and it was their fault for trying to get Haruhi into a dress again. So, don’t bring your anger out on all of us, just the twins and you may do whatever you please to them.”

Mariko slowly pulled the pillow away from her face and looked up. Kyoya was standing in front of her, a small smile playing on his lips. All the rest of the boys had moved away, going to surround Tamaki. Both twins were poking Tamaki.

“I might take that idea with me,” Mariko whispered, smirking. “Kyoya, why would they be trying to get Haruhi into a dress? Isn’t he a boy?”

Mariko looked up at him, curiously, with her big violet eyes. She only reached to his chest, only being a few inches taller than Honey. Kyoya sighed; looking around to make sure no girls were around.

“You’re just as clueless as your brother was,” the grey eyed boy said. “Haruhi isn’t actually a boy; well she isn’t one at all. She is a girl, like you.”

“Then why is she a part of the host club? Why does she dress like a boy?”

“She is in debt to us, she broke an eight million yen vase.”

“Why would she need to pay you back? We all have more than enough money to pay for it.”

“I know, but she also seems to be quite popular with the ladies, so you cannot tell anyone about her being a girl.”

Mariko rolled her eyes, before nodding. She doesn’t speak to anyone, so she couldn’t really tell anyone and she guessed that her brother knew about it as well. Her violet eyes dropped to the floor, thinking over what she was just told. So she wasn’t the only girl surrounded by boys and she wasn’t the only girl who was hit by Tamaki’s annoying antics.

Two hands coming down on her shoulders, pulled the young blonde out of her thoughts. Her gaze was met with two identical auburn haired boys.

“Why do you only talk to Tamaki and Kyoya?” Hikaru asked.

“Don’t you like us?” Kaoru finished, pouting.

Mariko shook her head, a small smile coming upon her mouth. Her eyes flickered to Hikaru for a second, noticing him moving his hand closer to her flute, only earning another a slap from the small girl.

“Will you play for us?” he asked, innocently smiling.

Mariko shook her head, pointing to the clock. There was only five minutes left of class, thanks to the idiots she was surrounded by.

“Come on, Mariko,” Kaoru whined. “I think you don’t want because you don’t like us. Why don’t you like us, beautiful?”

Mariko stared at the boy, annoyed. She knew he was only trying to waste time and make her late to class. She knew how the twins were, they were often late to class, but somehow they still managed to be one of the top in the class, just behind Haruhi and herself. She pushed past both twins, only to have two pairs of arms wrapped around her from behind.

“Leave my darling sister alone, you two evil doppelgangers,” the voice of Tamaki screamed.

“Gotta go,” both twins said in unison, rushing off, while Mariko’s older brother chased them around the music room.

Mariko let out a sigh of relief, before going back to packing away her flute. She only had a minute to spare until the bell rang, when she had finished. The blonde girl jumped as a cool voice spoke behind her.

“You know, if you wanted a way to stay here during club times and not have to sit here being bored, I could offer you an idea,” Kyoya told her.

“What?” Mariko whispered, turning to look up at him.

“Every afternoon when the club runs, play your flute in the background for the guests. You can play that flute quite well and it gives you a way to insure that you will come here.”

Mariko thought over it and nodded, just as the bell rang. She quickly grabbed her stuff and rushed out of the music room. She quickly swapped her flute for her Physics things and ran off to find Haruhi for their next class. The young blonde still couldn’t believe that Haruhi was a girl, then again Mariko never had a good eyes for these things.

Hello guys, I know it took a while for this chapter, but I have a very important question for you that needs to be answered for the rest of the story.

Do you want this story to follow the Anime and its episodes, or do you want it to be a completely made up plot line?

Thanks so much, please comment your answers. I have ideas for both sides of the question (If that made sense), but I am clueless about which way to go with this story.