Chapter Eleven

The host club stood in a semicircle around Mariko's bed, each gazing down at her. They had each grown used to having her around, becoming protective over her. Tamaki stood closest to his sister, holding her small hand in his large one.
"From what Mr. Ootori has told me, Miss Suoh reacts to most people unless she has a personal connection to them," a doctor explained. "What I would like to see is how close a relationship she has to have for her not to react. From what I can tell, each of you have a different level of relation with Miss Suoh."
Kyoya nodded, motioning for the doctor to continue with his instructions.
"What I would like from you, is for each of you to, in turns, hold Miss Suoh's hand gently. We will then note her reaction to each of you. After that, you are free to leave."
Kyoya watched one by one as each of the hosts held the petite hand of Mariko Suoh. She failed to react to five of the seven hosts. The only two left to try was Hikaru and Kyoya. Hikaru stepped up to the bed without a care. In his mind, if she didn't fight back against Kaoru, then she wouldn't fight back against him. But as his hand slid into Mariko's loose grip, his thoughts were proved wrong. 
As soon as his hand came in contact with Mariko's, she screamed. She unconsciously ripped her hand away from Hikaru's, before calming down almost immediately. The smug look was wiped clean off Hikaru's face, replaced by a blank one. He stood by the bed frozen. She didn't trust him. Out of all of the hosts, she didn't trust him.
Carefully, Kaoru reached forward and grasped his twin's hand, pulling him away from Mariko's bedside. Hikaru reluctantly stepped away, still frozen in shock.
The doctor looked up from his clipboard. "Mr Ooroti, if you don't mind."
"It's really not a question that I need answered," he stated.
"It's not for your benefit, it's for the hospital's. So, if you don't mind."
Kyoya cursed under his breath. He could fire this doctor immediately, he could tear the hospital down if he want. But he didn't. What stopped him was the peaceful look on Mariko's face. It was for her benefit, to wake her up from this deep sleep.
Silently, he stepped forward and slid his hand into hers. He held his breath, anxious of the response he would get from Mariko. His response was different from the others. She didn't scream like with Hikaru, but she didn't stay still like with everyone else.
Instead, a gentle smile drifted onto her lips and rolled towards Kyoya's hand. She was still unconscious, but how was she able to tell whose hand was who's? Kyoya stared blankly at the small girl, trying to comprehend what had happened. There was nothing in medical history like Mariko. It was a unique case, then again Mariko was unique.
"Thank you for your contribution today. You are free to leave if you wish," the doctor told them, before walking from the room.
Silence filled the room. Kyoya released Mariko's hand and stepped away from the bed, watching as she rolled back to the centre of the mattress as if nothing had happened.
"What have you been doing with her," Tamaki asked, rage twisting around every word. "Why did she react like that with you and not me? I'm her brother."
"I don't know." That was all Kyoya could say he had no answer for Tamaki. There was no logical explanation for this. The only one that could explain it was Mariko.
Kyoya walked out of the room, not bothering with goodbyes or to argue with Mariko's brother. It was obvious that he wanted a fight. Blood had rushed to his cheeks and ears, and he was close to steam coming from his ears. The only thing holding him back from chasing after Kyoya was Haruhi, who stood in front of him with a hand resting on his chest.
"Leave him be, Senpai. He understands just as much as you do about Mariko's condition, if not less," she whispered in an effort to calm him down.
Unfortunately, the twins were still there and made it impossible. "Yeah, boss. Don't blow your short fuse."
A deadly glaze covered his eyes and he glared darkly at the twins. "I'm going to give you five seconds to run."
Hikaru and Kaoru's faces paled and they took her, leaving behind them a cloud of dust. With one last glance at his sister, Tamaki ran after the twins with the intention of attacking them.