Chapter 2 - Plan of Survival

---Christina’s POV---

I woke up fairly early the next morning. My eyes blinked sleepily as they searched the room before the dull pain of the healing wounds remembered me what happened the night before and the warning Luke gave me.

My eyes didn’t focus on the empty room, the bare walls or the small window that was barred from the outside. I stared at the door, noticing that the paint was slowly peeling off while I thought of a way to survive.

Not only did I needed to survive the next two months without food or support from the pack, I knew that I had to train myself for the Proving; All the other whelps of the pride would receive basic training in combat, stealth and such while I, as the runt wouldn’t be allowed to do as much as watch the training. Especially under Alex’ commands.

A knock on the door brought my attention back to the present. The chieftain walked in, closely followed by Alex and Luke, who gave me a pointed look. I moved to sit up, winching slightly when my still healing ribs protested against the motion.

Alex smirked at that, his eyes shining with some sick amusement before he pulled his face in a blank expression as his father looked towards them. “Morning Christina. How are you feeling?” The chief asked softly, making me frown as I looked at him. Since when was he so worried about my well-being?

The chief smiled reassuringly at me, although it didn’t work as I could sense his unease and the waves of satisfaction that came of Alex as he kept a close eye on me. Something was off, I could sense it. Luke was glancing from me to his brother, his father and gave a small shake of his head. “He doesn’t know.” He mouthed.

Oh, he didn’t know what Alex was planning. Great, just great. I cleared my throat softly, “Still sore but getting better sir.” I replied with slight hesitation. The chief smiled at me before he waved at Alex, “I gave my eldest control over the pride so he can grow accustomed of taking charge. He’s your chief for now and I expect you to treat him with respect.”

Luke scoffed at that but managed to cover the sound with a loud cough before his father and brother took notice. I nodded slowly, turning towards Alex as I lowered my head begrudgingly, knowing that I had to honor him as chief although he wasn’t worthy of the title.

Alex grinned widely at this and stepped forwards. “You’re supposed to do your chores again, starting from tonight. And, “ he added as his eyes gained that wicked gleam while he smirked, “You can’t ask nor take any food from the pride. As I stated before Christina, you don’t deserve it.”

This statement was followed by the loud growl of his outraged father as Luke shot me another pointed look but Alex simply cut him off with a gesture of his hand. “I’m in charge now old man and what I say goes. You only said that I couldn’t beat her nor command others to do so. You’ve never said that I can’t starve her.”

With that, Alex shot me a self-satisfied, evil grin, shoved his shoulder against Luke’s before he stepped out of the room with long, proud strides. Luke slowly looked up at his father and let out a warning snarl before he sighed deeply and turned towards me with a defeated expression.

I leaned back against the cool wall behind me and sighed, “It’s okay Luke. I’ll manage so stop worrying. I’ve lived in this pride for twelve years, “I shrugged slightly, “I’ve grown accustomed to what Alex can or can’t do.”