Prologue

I was born in a world of myths and legends, a world where were-creatures, vampires, mages, etc. all existed in real life. They weren't just a part of some nice fantasy books or Hollywood movies.

Let me introduce myself; I'm Christina, I'm 16 years old and I'm a part of the were-cat population. And no, not some housecats, I mean the big felines. There are several species of Were-cats: Lions, cougars, leopards, snow leopards.... Name the animal, it exists in our world. Each species has their own strengths and weaknesses, their own abilities.

Most of us live together in prides, a family group of the same species that had chosen a leader of their own. These leaders, better known as Chieftains, led their prides according to the rules of their ruling King and Queen.

But, there were others who liked to live freely, to live a life on their own, occasionally gathering to meet each other. These cats were better known as Nomads and although they lived a free life, they chose to live by the rules of their kingdom, unlike the Rogue's, the outcasts of my world.

For as long as I can remember, I've dreamed of becoming a Nomad, a dream to escape my pride. You might wonder 'Why would she want that? Why would she leave her family?' Well, for starters, they aren't my family; I was found and adopted earlier on. The other part of the explanation is simple: They despise me because I am different. Not all of them, but still, enough for me to wish for an escape every day.

If only it was so simple.