Chapter 19 - Getting to know your mate

---Christina’s POV---

The grass swayed in the wind and rustled against my ears as I made my way through the field. I could hear the soft padding of Collin’s paws and knew he was following me without needing to look back.

I had gained control a few minutes ago, where Eva had been so polite to tell me why I was acting this way. The Heat, as she called it, was our cat’s way of locating our mate. Once Eva had a clue who it was, our body would be forced through a series of seemingly impossible changes.

For instance, as soon as she knew that our mate was around, my personal scent changed. The changes were almost unnoticeable for me but according to my cat, it was a neon billboard for all the males around, a sign that my future mate was around.

That also explained why that lion was grooming me and why Eva had reacted the way she did. Our scent was alluring to all males, not just our mate. I let out a small huff of annoyance; I didn’t want all these cats prowling around me in the hopes of getting some tail.

I meowed softly when a paw playfully swiped my hind legs out from under me before Collin pounced. A playful purr rolled through his chest as he bobbed me on the nose and quickly scrambled backwards before he started licking at his paw, feigning innocence.

“Sure, you didn’t just tackle me on the floor.” I thought sarcastically and heard Eva chuckle. Her emotions poured into my mind, the overwhelming elation, knowing that we found a mate that would fit perfectly.

I just hope he isn’t thinking about mating the first night.

 The thought popped into my mind before I realized it but I quickly shook my head and pawed at Collin when he tried to paw at my nose again. Just from the way he was behaving, I just knew he wasn’t going to be like that or expected to be bonded by tomorrow.

He dropped down beside me, stirring up the dust as he licked his lips and shuffled closer. I eyed him curiously, wondering where the hell my mentor with his tough love has disappeared to.

“I’m still here, just…happy that I finally realized what Liam knew all along.” Collin’s voice inside my head was a surprise and I nearly jerked up before he threw a paw over my shoulders and kept me down.

“Mates have a shared link, remember?”

I rolled my eyes, “Pshh, No? If I can recall, my training didn’t include mates and how to find them.” Was my retort and Collin glanced up at me with a frown before he glanced away. If I wasn’t mistaken, I thought I saw a glimmer of anger in his eyes.

“They didn’t teach you anything, did they?”

What did he- Oh. Oh! The pride should’ve informed me like they did to all the other cubs at a certain age. But since Alex hated me, the abuse and neglect obviously meant that I was missing out on more than just freedom or food.

I was surprised that Collin shifted but I didn’t hesitate to follow his example. He pulled me up to my feet and grinned, his eyes warm and twinkling with delight as he laced his fingers through mine.