Chapter 21 - Pompous cats and sneaky plans

---Christina’s POV---

I stayed close to Collin as the Lion Pride was slowly flooded by different Royal delegations.  They arrived with a lot of show, as if they wanted to draw attention to what they are instead of whom they should be.

My eyes rolled for the umpteenth time as another band of cats arrived, this time a small group of Bengal Tigers. The man with long, auburn hair instantly sneered and curled his nose at the sight of one of the early arrivals, the delegation from the Siberian Tigers.

“Maverick.” The man spoke, tilting his head back in an attempt to look down at the huge man, which looked quite ridiculous instead of the intimidating effect he probably went for.

“Xavier.” Maverick greeted with a smirk, crossing his arms as he leaned against the walls. Unlike most felines that had come to greet me and persuade me to join their pride, Maverick hasn’t done the same thing.

The Siberian Tiger had greeted me politely on arrival and offered me a curious look but avoided the sweet-talking and boasting of his pride like the other cats did. Instead, he simply informed me of what troubled his king and kindly asked me to help their species out.

The difference? He asked me to help his King instead of acting like the other werecats present; like I needed their help. Maverick hadn’t offered me to take me up in his pride; he certainly didn’t ignore Collin when my mate was introduced.

“I like him.” Was Collin’s thought when Maverick had instantly taken a step back when it was clear that Collin was my mate, and even went as far as excusing himself for intruding on my personal space and me, being Collin’s mate.

A snort of annoyance left me as I slightly shook my head. Xavier, the newly arrived Bengal Tiger was now busy verbally lashing Maverick, even though the guy was bigger, stronger and wiser than him.

“Politics dear. Don’t try to understand how their minds work, just know that seeing a group of politicians in action is the same as watching a group of kittens fighting over a toy. Its childish, dumb and often resorts to insulting the opposite party, displaying your own stupidity in the process.” Collin coldly remarked as he snuck up behind me, arms reaching round to give me a soothing hug.

I had to bite my lip to stop myself from laughing out loud, but my mate was right. All these delegations had one thing in common and that was the amount of temper tantrums they threw around.

“Don’t they understand that I’m a Nomad, mated to you and am able to choose my future for myself?” I murmured, leaning against Collin’s chest when the Bengal Tiger huffed and moved in our direction, wiping the disgruntled look of his face and replacing it with a syrupy sweet smile.

Collin shrugged, kissing my temple before I felt his lips curl in a smile when he whispered against my ear, “I always suspected anyone voluntarily entering politics to have suffered from brain damage. They only vary in degrees of seriousness.”

I chortled at that, gaining a chuckle from Collin and a confused look from Xavier before the man grinned, as if thinking he had made me laugh.