Chapter 1

* Violence occurs in this chapter. Don’t say I didn’t warn you ;) *

---Christina’s POV---

My dreams of living a carefree life on my own quickly disappeared when I was pulled up on my hair. I bit on my lip to stop the pained and startled yelp from coming out, knowing that it would only provoke my tormentor. My hands tried to pry my hair out of his hold while I looked up in a set of dark brown eyes, which flashed golden when I caught their attention.

“Get up.” Alex snarled before he tossed me towards the door. I stumbled for a moment before I dashed out and downstairs towards the kitchen. Some of the pride-members were already up, rubbing their sleepy eyes while they walked towards the table.

They were preparing themselves for school while they waited for their meal. Both of them luxuries that I don’t have.

I clicked the stove on and grabbed several pans to prepare breakfast. I shivered in my thin clothes, feeling grateful for the warmth the stove provided. My stomach growled loudly while I slid the food out of the pan and walked towards the table. Alex and his friends watched me closely when I placed the fried eggs, bacon and pancakes in front of them.

My stomach growled his threat again, ‘Give me food or I’ll eat your spine.’ A smirk appeared on Alex’ face while he placed some of the delicious smelling food on his plate, soon followed by his friends and the rest of the pride. Something about that grin unsettled me. And sure enough…

“Are you hungry, Christina?” He teased, locking his eyes with mine while he scooped piles of food in his mouth. I looked down, knowing that his eyes flashed gold again when I did so. His friends laughed when Alex hand smacked on the table, jolting me up out of fear. “I said,” he sneered slowly while he rose from his seat, “Are you hungry?”

I swallowed before nodding slightly, mumbling, “Yes sir.” Mentally adding, ’You should know, since you order the pride to starve me until your father comes back home.’ My inner cat growled annoyed, flexing her muscles while she supported me. Although my demeanor was shy, that was just the outside. On the inside, I was wiping the floor with Alex, possibly choking him with the same food I prepared but couldn’t eat.

Alex was the son of our Chieftain, the leader of this Leopard-tribe. Since he was the firstborn, he was the pride and glory of his father and direct in line to take his position over. Although Alex’ father still had to answer to the Leopard king and queen, he acted like he was royalty, spouting laws and rules wherever he went.

I looked up when a shade hovered over me; Alex stood right in front of my nose, looking down on me. “You know why you don’t deserve food, don’t you?” he asked sweetly, a smile tugging on his lips. I mentally prepared myself for what was coming; it had become a daily routine.

You see, Alex would always demand total and complete submission from me, enticing me in a game that would always end the same; him showing his dominance over the pride and me. And now I refused to play along with him. Instead, I clamped my mouth shut and refused to lower my eyes. The only warning I got was a slight shaking of his hands.