Chapter 5 - Training and freedom

---Christina’s POV---

My feet thudded against the ground as I was running away as fast as I could. Leaves and twigs cracked to my right, so I quickly dodged and ran to my left before I was caught and pushed to the ground.

“Gotcha!” My captor exclaimed with a laugh in his voice.

“You really need to learn how to focus on someone approaching you, little one.” Eve reprimanded as I hissed slightly and pushed a smirking Collin of me. This was the tenth time that he told me to run and still he was able to catch me.

“Focus Christy. I told you again and again that you need to stay alert on your surroundings. Even if you feel like you’re perfectly safe, I want you to be on guard and expect the unexpected.” Collin said sternly but still with humor in his eyes while he helped me up.

I growled with frustration while I said, “I know, okay? Every little sound is distracting me, sorry.” I snapped, annoyed with myself while I brushed a hand through my hair and looked everywhere but towards my mentor. Why couldn’t I get this right from the start? Collin would soon start to think that I’m worthless, just like the rest of my pride.

“Christina!” Collin snapped me out of my daze but the way he had nearly shouted my name to get through to me wasn’t helping me with my previous thoughts. Instantly, I grew wary as I made a soft warning mewling sound in the back of my throat, knowing that my eyes were flashing again.

Collin backed off but I could see that he was having a fight with his cat while he stared at me, his eyes softening slightly before he sighed and sat down on the ground. “Easy little red, I didn’t mean to offend you.”

“What’s the point of this all anyway? Everyone’s just waiting for me to lay down and die anyways.” I huffed before dropping down on the spot and crossed my legs while I stared up at the creamy white clouds floating in the air.

Silence filled the clearing before I heard the soft brushing of clothes, indicating that Collin was moving around before I felt him sit down a few steps away from me, his eyes fixed on my face.

“And why would you say such a thing? I’m sure that your pride cares for you.” I scoffed, nudging my chin up in the air as I closed my eyes. “I’ve been beaten and kicked around by Alex and his cronies since the very first day that I arrived here. His father has been covering every single beating up, only reprimanding Alex when he took it too far and they had to call the doctor in.”

Taking a deep breath, I continued as I felt Collin’s burning stare fixed on my expressions. “The sad thing is, the pride was almost always present during the beatings but they never lifted a finger to stop Alex. My routine was simple; wake up, make breakfast for the pride, take the occasional beating or two, clean the house, get food from the stores, make sure that every single request is been dealt with and then make supper before I had to disappear out of their sights.” Opening my eyes, I looked at Collin and mocked, “Yeah, I’m feeling the love alright.”

Collin’s jaw was taunt as he swallowed, his hands fisted on his thighs while he looked away for a moment, taking deep breaths to calm himself. I closed my eyes again and enjoyed the few minutes of relaxation that I had; pretty soon I had to go back to the pride to fix their dinner.