15 | Chocolates

UNEDITED

"Uh...water," I replied cautiously while hiding the pill bottle behind my back.

"You know what I'm talking about."

"Water?"

"Those- those pills. What are they for liv? Why do you need those? I know its not cold medication or normal painkillers."

"Yeah, its not cold medicine." I sighed.

"What is it? Are you hurt? Is it something personal?" Her face twisted into a frown, the lines making her appear anxious. " I mean I'm curious as hell but if you don't want to tell you don't have to. I'm just worried."

"It's okay. I don't mind telling you."

"What is it, Liv?"

Just as I was about to reply, footsteps were heard in the hallway and seconds later Jane emerged.

"We're about to leave, you guys. Hurry up."

I shot an anxious look at Avery, who nodded.

Later, she took me away from them on the bus. It was easy and unnoticeable as everyone had fallen asleep moments after they gotten on the bus.

We were now a few seats infront of our friends as they slept peacefully behind us.

Avery sighed, pushing away her hair behind her back as she waited for me to speak anxiously.

"Liv-" she started with a worried glance at the others, but I interrupted.

It wasn't like I could hide this forever.

So I took a deep breath and let it go.

"I have lupus."

I felt the words roll off my tounge like pricks and needles. I was always the type to rip the band-aid off in one go; I didn't like the prolonged anxiety.

Avery stared at me for what seemed like the longest time, her breath stuck in her throat. Her eyes widened and even when the gust of wind blew her hair all over her face, she sat there frozen.

"Avery?"

"Give me a minute," she said with a sigh. "I've heard of the disease but-"

"Yeah. It doesn't particularly mean that I'll die. It doesn't lead to death, like cancer. Its just something I have to live with."

"Those pills.."

"They're to help with the pain."

"It hurts?" Her brows furrowed as she looked all over for any sign that indicated that I was hurt.

"Sometimes. Don't worry. Its nothing I can't handle."

"I would've never imagined. You look healthy but-"

"Yeah." I smiled sadly. "That's the frustrating part about this disease. You can't tell if I'm sick, or in pain. Only I can."

"How.. how long?"

"Its been four years now. I've gotten used to it."

I plastered a smile on my face. It wasn't like anyone could understand the pain I felt.

"Please don't tell the others yet. I-"

The air is knocked out of me when arms wrap tightly around me, red hair blinding me momentarily.

"I won't. I promise I won't. Just because its not life-threatening, doesn't mean its not serious. You still hurt, feel the pain." Her words were serious, her tone dejected.