Snip, Snip

Chapter 1:

Jessica's POV:

Just another day in the life of Jess. I made my way through the bustling Camden mall and inspected the food court. Though it was only a few minutes after opening, the mall was packed with shoppers. Huffing, I pushed through the crowd and joined the line of my go-to breakfast shop: Smoothie Shack.

"Hey, Jessica! The usual berry shake?" the cashier, Kate, quizzed. Over the past few months, we've gotten quite friendly with each other. She's memorized my order, and I can tell her mood based on how she styles her hair. Today was a messy ponytail, meaning she's feeling cheery and not giving a single shit.

"Yes, ma'am. You know there's no one in the world who makes berry smoothies like you," I gushed cheekily as I passed her my payment.

Kate snorted and began combining assorted fruits in a blender. "Yeah, it's a real science," she muttered sarcastically. Within a minute she passed me a purple smoothie, retracting it as soon as I reached to grab it. Kate leaned in close and menacingly whispered, "I can spit in your drink next time, mother fucker."

I snatched the smoothie and feigned a gasp. "You wouldn't!"

"Oh, I would slather my saliva all over your cup if you push me," she retaliated, not even concerned about the now disgusted customer waiting behind me in line. Like I said, messy ponytail.

The man stalked off, probably after deciding he didn't want to risk a tampered smoothie. Kate smirked and called up the next person in line. "So, what are you still doing here?" she asked. I stepped aside and allowed the next person to order before I answered her.

"What do you mean?" I quizzed, sucking down my smoothie. God damn, this is so good.

Once Kate passed the lady her bright green smoothie, she turned to me. "You always complain to me about your boss. I'm just waiting for you to get the balls to quit like you say you will," she replied. I shrugged my shoulders. I opened my mouth to speak when piercing teenage-girl screams echoed through the food court.

A cringe crept onto my face, matching Kate's. "Who the hell screams this early in the morning? There better be at least five dead babies in here," I huffed. A small group of teenagers sitting a few tables away laughed loudly. Realizing they were laughing at me, I shot them a small glare and turned back to Kate. "I guess I said that much louder than I should've."

"Yep," she chuckled. I rolled my eyes and checked my watch. Shit, it was almost time for my shift to start. I cheered goodbye and rushed out the foodcourt, heading to my own job. "See you later!" Kate called after me.

Only a couple minutes later I found myself approaching a familiar neon sign. I groaned to myself. Of course the only store in this mall with a fluorescent puke-yellow sign happened to belong to the one I work in. To make matters worse, the store is called Sole-mates. The amount of puns I hear daily is sickening.

I was only a few meters away when my foot caught a slick spot on the floor, causing me to stumble into a solid figure. "Oh my God! Sorry not sorry!" I rattled and chuckled awkwardly. I scrunched up my face. "Sorry, I always say stupid jokes when I do dumb things."

My eyes shifted to the person I slipped into to make sure they were okay. "It's fine. That didn't hurt nearly as bad as seeing those dead babies," the man teased, quoting me from earlier. I glanced up at his face. His dark hood covered most of it, as did his glasses. The only thing I could instantly make out was his chin that needed to be shaved. This sad jokester must've been at the table near the Smoothie Shack.

I narrowed my eyes at him, staring firmly into his cheap sunglasses. "Ha-ha, your hilarious," I exaggerated. Concluding the stranger wasn't bludgeoned by my bumping into him, I stepped away and rubbed my shoe against the ground to rid it of whatever I stepped in.