Chapter 8

Hiya, here is chapter 8. I'm trying to make it so I have at least one update a day, but it might be every other day. We'll just have to see. Hope you enjoy. :)

~Rue Varron~

Chapter 8

"You..." I turned to look at Mr. Cooley, who looked like he had been electrocuted. "Y-y-you got her t-t-to smile?" Even though I hadn't known him long, I never thought I would see Mr. Cooley stutter. I dropped my smile, feeling like he ruined my happy moment with Jared. "Wait, you can talk?" He dropped into the hospital chair next to me. I could feel laughter bubbling through me but I didn't let it escape my lips. He looked so confused. Jared started laughing, which made it harder for me to control mine but I did.

"I haven't seen her smile for 8 years, I'm more surprised than you." He said with a big genuine smile which dropped after a moment. "Wait, what does he all know?" I shrugged, not sure what to do. His eyes darted to the confused Mr. Cooley who didn't look like he was gonna answer for awhile.

He did after a few minutes, "She told me what happened. She wouldn't tell me exactly what happened to her but she told me about you guys and your condition." He looked at me, wondering if he said the right thing.

"You told him?" He practically yelled. "How long have you even known him? How do we know we can trust him?" He was yelling now. I was shaking now, trying to hold back sobs. "We can barely trust Zane." He said in a whisper. I looked at Mr. Cooley through my watery eyes to see him stunned. I didn't know what to do. So I did the only thing I could. I brought my legs up to my chest, hugged my legs and cried.

"Shh.. Awnah, shush, I'm sorry, please don't cry." Jared said quietly. He quietly swore under his breath and I looked at him.

"No!" I shouted at him as he tried to pull the i.v out of his arm. He froze and I heard Mr. Cooley take in a sharp breath.

(Kayden's Point of View)

"No!" I took in a sharp breath as my head flashed up to look at Miss. Ro... Awnah. She just... 'No, she can't talk' I thought, 'but she just did'. Her voice was beautiful. It was musical and angelic, soft and sweet even though it came out as a yell. Her brother looked like he died on the spot. He was still breathing but not moving. His eyes were locked on her as she quietly dropped to her chair, never breaking eye contact with him.

"How?" He asked breathlessly. 'Yes, how?' My mind was pleading to know how she could talk. It was silent, the only thing we could hear was the quiet beeping of the machines in the room. Awnah stood up, touched her brothers cheek with great affection and quietly said, "forgive me" and then ran from the room. I looked at the doors and then back to her brother. He looked at me, face etched with worry and confusion. 'What should I do? Go find her or stay here?'

"Could you, umm, go find her and make sure she's ok?" Her brother asked. I nodded and quickly ran from the room. 'His room is the last one at the end of the hall so she could've only went one way' I said to myself and raced down the hallway. I saw her foot as I rounded another corner and sped up, I was already down the hall before she was halfway down the other. I quickly overtook her and spun around in front of her. She crashed into me knocking both of us off balance. I quickly caught myself on the wall and caught her before she hit the floor. She looked up at me for a moment with watery eyes. It made me want to cry, just seeing her like this. She surprised me by hugging me, shaking me as sobs wracked through her, sending a forceful electric shock through me. I placed my hand on the small of her back and lightly petted her hair as she cried. I found myself muttering soothing words to her till she stopped shaking. It seemed strangely comforting to have her in my arms, it just felt right. I heard her mutter something quietly against my shirt but didn't quite catch what she was saying.