Dancing with the Muted Rain Chapter 1

I played it over and over in my head everyday. I blamed myself for his accident. Our lives were never the same after. 

"Awny," he said with a scared look, "can we please go now?" I scowled at him and hopped off the park swing. I gave him my best 'death' glare.

"Comm'on Awny, it's getting really dark and we have a long walk back!" He said looking around the emtpy park.

"I told you to stop calling me that. It's Awnah now." I said to my 8 year old brother Jared. "Crap." I said looking up at the sky. It was 8:30, darker than a normal summer day in June. We were suppose to be home 2 hours ago so we would miss the rain. Jared whimpered as the clap of thunder broke over our heads and it began to rain. The bottom half of my body began to shake involuntary.

I looked down to see Jared shaking and clinging to me like his life depended on it. I laughed and ruffled his long shaggy brown hair. His glassy pale green eyes stared at me with fright. I bent down and pulled him into my arms and lifted his skinny figure up effortlessly. Even though I was 10, I was strong for my age. He wrapped his legs around my waist tightly and wrapped his arms around my neck, burying his head under the crook of my neck. I rolled my eyes as I began to walk. I pulled him back a bit so I could see his face. Tears silently slid down his cheeks. I wiped them away.

"Jair, it's only a little rain." The moment I said that, it went from sprinkling to pouring buckets. In just a few minutes we were soaked to the bone. My t-shirt and jeans were clinging to my body. I stopped walking and set Jared down. He whimpered and held my hand so tight it began to throb. "Not so hard!" I hissed and looked around for a street sign but it was pouring so hard I could barely make out the street lights that were set a glow. I squinted, straining my eyes so hard to see anything but only saw an old abandon looking house.

"Are we lost?" Jared whispered. I almost didn't hear him through the clapping of water falling all around. I forced a smile.

"No Jair. We're just gonna go stop over here till the rain lightens up." I said leading him to the abandon building. I sat down against the front door and pulled Jared into my lap. He shivered as I ran my hands up and down his bare arms trying to make him warm.

After about 15 minutes Jared fell asleep. I picked him up and set him down, leaning his head against the wall. The rain kept coming. I decided to enjoy the rain while I was still out in it, since Mama never allowed us out in the rain when we were home. I took a few steps into the rain. I brought my face up to the sky, inhaling deeeply through my nose only to start sneezing, forcing the rain out of my nose. After my sneezing subsided I brought my head back up but not as far this time.

Each drop on my face made my body jitter with excitement. I shivered, feeling the cold chill from the rain. Goosebumps appeared all over my skin. I sighed and began to twirl to the rains' steady beat. I raised my hands above my head and began to dance with the rain. I don't know how long I danced but I was so tunedd to the rain I didn't hear Jared's cries till he screamed. Suddenly it was cut off. I stopped arruptly and ran back to the abandon house.

"Jared?" I called.

"Oh, I don't think he'll answer you for quite awhile." A voice laughed behind me. I spun around and was immediately shoved back into the wall. I smacked my head against the wall and let out a cry. I winced at the pain in the back of my head. Suddenly I felt something hard and cold pressured against my neck. I looked up as terror pulsed through me.

My eyes met his. His fierce glare captivated my eyes not allowing me to remove them from his. His eyes were a unique steel silver. If it wasn't for their horrid glare, I would've said they were the most georgous eyes I had ever seen. Their hardness dispersed for just a moment, allowing me to avoid his gaze and get a good look at him.