Chapter 24

Sorry for the super long wait. Here's chapter 24! Sorry it's super short, but it's better than nothing right?

Rue

Chapter 24

(Awnah's Point of View)

"Hey Mama." I smiled sweetly at her as I entered the room. The smile was completely fake; I felt like there was no reason to be smiling when Zane could be dying.

"What's wrong?" She asked. Her breathing sounded slightly labored as she spoke.

"What do you mean?"

"I may have not seen you in a long time but I can still tell when somethings wrong." Her eyes burned into mine.

"Zane's in the ER. He-he-he might not make it." I gritted my teeth as tears threatened to fall. I felt Kayden's hand on my shoulder as I shook, trying not to cry.

"Honey, I'm sure he's gonna be perfectly fine. You just have to believe." I nodded but wasn't so sure.

"Oh, you wanted to see me?" I asked, remembering that I was called here. Mama looked at Kayden then at me.

"I can leave if you would like?" Kayden offered but I could tell he didn't really want to go.

"No, you might as well stay and hear this. Awnah do you accept the fact that Daniel is your father?" I looked over at Daniel's sleeping figure in the chair next to Mama's bed. He had horrible bags under his eyes from lack of sleep but even in his sleep, he still had this loving look on his face. He really did love Mama. I could just see it in the way he looked at her. I reluntantly nodded my head, I accepted the fact that he was, but I still wasn't completely happy about the fact that she cheated on someone, even if it was Kevin. "Good, I, he wants you to live with him. He's got a nice house and you and Jared will always be provided for and-"

"Why? We already have our own apartment and we have money. I don't want to have to switch schools."

"You don't have to switch schools. He lives a few blocks away from your school. You know the big brick house on Losset street?"

"You call that a house. That's a dang mansion! Wait a minute, why didn't you even come see us at school if you were only blocks away this whole time." I couldn't believe all these years she was only blocks away.

"I wanted to. Believe me, I did, but I couldn't because I didn't know if someone would tell Kevin where I was. He would've took you guys away." She blubbered as tears spilled down her cheeks.

"Wait, why did you say that HE wanted us to move in? What do you mean HE?" I looked at her accusingly.

"Can I speak to Kayden for a moment? Alone?" I huffed and crossed my arms, walking out of the room. I tried to listen but the only thing I heard was 'I can't bare to tell her'. I wanted to know so badly what they were talking about. After about five minutes, Kayden opened the door and let me back in. His face was emotionless but his eyes were ablaze with worry as he eyed me.

"Mama what's wrong?"

"Come here." She said quietly as she raised her arms towards me. I ran into them and buried my face into her neck.

"No matter what happens, remember that Daniel and I love you and Jared more than the whole world. Please don't fight him." Her grip around my back loosened and the whole room was quiet besides the long beep coming out of the monitor.

"Mama?" I looked at her motionless body and screamed. "No, Mama you can't leave me! Mama, Mama!" Tears streamed down my face as I violently shook her lifeless body. "We never got to talk about anything. About boys, or shopping, or anything a regular girl does with her mother." I whispered. I inhaled sharply as I felt arms go around my waist. "No," I pulled out of them, "I want to be alone with her. We still have so much to talk about." I said slowly pushing a tired Daniel and Kayden out the door.