8. Close Calls and Revelations

Slowly Sherlock worked his way along looking under every seat and every corner for a bomb.

"It's empty. There's nothing." I said.

Sherlock suddenly spotted a pair of intertwined black and red cables strung along the wall and down to one of the seats.

"Isn't there?" Sherlock asked me. He looked up at me once he had pushed the cushion of the seat up. "This is the bomb." He said to me.

"What?" I asked feeling confused.

Sherlock stood up and lifted the cushion all the way up. Inside it was full of wired-up explosives.

"It's not carrying explosives. The whole compartment is the bomb." Sherlock said stepping away from the seat. I swallowed and looked at Sherlock in a panic.

Sherlock bent down and removed a loose panel on the ground.

"What do we do?" I asked him.

"I have no idea." He said slowly. You have got to be kidding me.

"Well, think of something. You really dragged me on this case and its a death trap! What were you thinking?!"

"Why d'you think I know what to do? I thought this case was stupid how would I know that there would be a bomb involved!" He said to me.

"Because you're Sherlock Holmes. You're as clever as it gets." I said panicking.

"Doesn't mean I know how to defuse a giant bomb. What about you?" He said sarcastically.

I looked down at the countdown clock which was currently frozen at 2:30.

"Can't-can't we rip the timer off, or something?" I said.

"That would set it off." Sherlock said.

"Oh god. I'm going to die. Oh god...." I said putting my hands on my head and pacing around.

"Oh don't be stupid." Sherlock said standing up.

"Excuse me? I am not-" I stopped suddenly as all the lights came on in the carriage and the countdown clock on the bomb began to tick down.

"Er ..."

My breathing was eradicated and I was terrified. "My God! Sherlock do something!"

"I, erm, ugh..." Sherlock mumbled to himself.

"Sherlock we need to get out of here. Now!" I shouted opening the door to the carriage. Sherlock grabbed my arm. "Wait. This is going to blow up, we need to dismantle it somehow." I was shocked by his touch and it seemed to calm me down.

The timer was now at 2.15. I swallowed. "Can't you just take the wires out?" I asked him as Sherlock frantically searched the bomb.

"I- I can't it would blow up. Oh god..." He trailed off.

"Sherlock. Sherlock what's the matter?" I asked searching for an answer from him.

"You can't turn it off can you?" I said hopeless.

Sherlock looked down and shook his head. I turned away from him and bit my lip to stop myself from breaking down. I'm going to die.

"Jennifer go." Sherlock said.

"What? I can't can I? There's no point because there's not enough time for me to leave." I said as anger rose up inside of me.

Suddenly Sherlock brought his fingers up to the sides of his face and screwed his eyes shut. Sherlock lifted his head a little, still concentrating. He must be using that mind palace of his. Sherlock tried hard to think of something. Sherlock's hands come away from his face and his eyes remain closed. I closed my eyes, and Sherlock let out a cry and opened his eyes. He breathed heavily for a moment, then he looked apologetically at me.