Chapter 34

Graduation Day
Six Months Later

Everything felt surreal, here I was, Natalie Ann Atkins about to graduate from high school and take on the big world ahead. I couldn't allow myself to relax as I thought about all the hardships I had faced to get here. Toby sat a few rows behind me looking just as nervous in his blue and gold gown. I turned back for a few moments to see what he had grown into. He was taller by an inch or so, he was beginning to form out from a teenager to a man with broader shoulders and a little facial hair around his mouth and chin. His hair was still cut close making my stomach flip as I thought about the lift changing decision I would have to make after the program.

I still hadn't given Toby his answer, I had pushed it off for months trying to think of the pros and cons. But now I no longer had time, I had to tell Toby if I was going to become his wife now or never. The growing fear of walking across that stage along with the fear of having to accept or decline a marriage proposal was enough to make me vomit. Nervousness was eating at every fiber of body causing swear to run down my skin faster and the whole room to seem hot and dizzy.

Mr. Lombardi approached the stage, tapping the microphone a few times before beginning his speech.

"Good afternoon students, parents, friends and others, we welcome you to the Rose Oak High graduation ceremony. I had a prepared speech that I was going to make for you seniors, but I found that this ceremony would be better if I spoke from the heart. I have seen you guys grow up from little saplings, freshmen hiding under your parents' wings attempting to find yourself in an environment that is all too easy to blend in and fade in the back ground. The mere fact that you are sitting here today is something to be proud of, because some did not make it. Whether willingly or unwillingly some of your fellow classmates fainted along side of the road, unable to run the race any longer. But you didn't faint. You kept your head held high and you paced yourself through four difficult years. If the school work didn't try to break you, peer pressure and the struggle to break free of your parents' rule sure would have. So I honor you today, because your dedication and hard-work proved strong and now you are able to call yourself a high school graduate."

There were applause that echoed through the auditorium. I found myself clapping as I wiped tears away from my eyes. This was the end of the road, I was finally achieving something I had wanted since I was a little girl. The moment began seeming even more surreal at Mr. Lombardi called my name and the college I would be attending and my major. My heels clicked gently against the wooden floor as I received my diploma and headed back to my seat. I looked down at the paper in my hands with my name printed firmly across. I was now official a high school graduate and the world was mine to take.

_________________________________

"I am so proud of you baby girl. Never in a million years would I have imagined a daughter as intelligent, beautiful, and sassy as you. I love you baby."

"I love you too daddy," I wrapped my arms around my father's neck pulling him in for a hug.

"I have to take a picture," my mom said taking out her camera and aiming at my father and I.

He threw his arm around my shoulder and I leaned into his chest as the picture snapped. My dad kissed my temples once more before walking off to say congratulations to one of his co-worker's daughter. I hugged my mother and then began searching the crowd for Chloe and her family. I felt a tapped on my shoulder, I turned around looking into the light hazel eyes of Toby.

"Congratulations."

"Same to you," I stated folding my arms over my chest gently.

"Can we talk?"

I nodded and Toby took my hand leading me over to a small sitting area in front of the community center. Toby was again folding with his hands no doubt nervous over the answer. I took small deep breaths so that I could remain pose and calm in case Toby didn't like my answer.

"So? Your answer?"

"Toby I understand that army life is hard and you want someone standing behind you, but I just don't think we're ready. I enjoy our time together Toby, I really do, but I can't just put my life on hold. Do you understand?"

"Yeah I understand, I just want to know that this is your decision. No one else played a roll in it?"

"No, I made this based on what I feel. Who knows? When you get back then I think you and I can start thinking about dating again and possibly marriage in the future. I just feel that the timing is off."

"I respect your opinion," Toby reached out and touched my cheek with his thumb," I still love you, you know that right?"

I nodded. He rubbed his hand back and forth over my cheek sending small waves through my belly. Toby dropped his hand, we both stood up at the same time.

"Keep your head up out there soldier," I laughed a little. Toby joined into, he placed one hand to his side and saluted me with the other.

Author's Note
This is not the last chapter! There will be one more chapter for reading and then information about a possible sequel. Thank you guy for joining me on this wild crazy ride, I appreciate all of you. Comment what you think of the chapter, thanks.