Chapter 20

Toby's Point of View

"What the hell you mean new school?" I spat out at Nat through the phone. I knew she was moving, but I assumed she would be in the same school district until she graduated.

"Just what I said Toby, this wasn't my fault."

"I know that Nat, I'm just .... just tired Nat. I feel like the world is doing everything in it's power to keep us apart."

"What does that mean?"

"I don't know Nat, I'm not losing faith in us, I'm losing faith in humanity."

"I know what you mean Toby, did you move back in with your mom?"

"Yeah," I sighed, "I did. Things are tense right now, but I'm doing some fights so I can get my own apartment."

"That's good, I mean, not good, but y'know."

"I know," I took a deep breath before speaking to Nat again, "I've been talking to some people in the army. It's looking like a really good possibly right now."

There was a pause over the line. I held my breath in nervousness. I had told Nat that I was planning on join the army, but I don't think she fully understood then or believed me. But now, graduation was coming close and I had to start making decisions for the future.

"Toby if you're going to graduate, then you might-as-well go to college."

I groaned and rolled my eyes, "I've told you Nat, college isn't for me. I'm not one of those kids like you Nat. College has nothing to offer me than some desk job and I sure as hell ain't doing that. I love the army, I want to carry on my father's legacy."

My breath caught in my throat. This happened every time I talked about my father, the pain of the night I found out always came back to me. I was a kid, only fourteen or fifteen and my dad was suppose to be coming home. I waited up hours for him, but he never showed and I went to bed. In the middle of the night, my mother came into my room screaming and crying. I knew something was wrong, I just didn't know what. But then things started piecing themselves together and my mom told me the next day. I was absolutely heart-broken. My hero, my friend, my father was now a memory.

"Toby, I want this to last, but how is it going to when I have to worry about you everyday? When I have to worry if you slept okay? If you're even still alive?"

"What do you want to be?"

"A doctor."

"What if I have to worry about you catching some disease? Or working late and getting an injury and dying because no one is around?"

"Toby those are worst case scenarios. Being in the army is a worst case scenario job. You're on the front line everyday getting shot at."

"Can we not talk about this? Let's talk about something else. How was your day?"

"Shit. What about you?"

"It was okay, my mom's new boyfriend is still here. That guy is creepy and he hits my mom. I feel like a horrible person sometimes though."

"Why?"

"Because sometimes I don't want to protect my mom. She always gets herself into shit and expects me to get her out of it. I understand my father died and everything, but I'm living and she should too. I can't wait until I have enough money to move out."

"Just be careful for me Toby. I gotta go because I have a meeting with hell tomorrow, but I'll talk to you after school. Bye."

"Bye babe."

I hung up my phone and stood up to go get dinner. I walked out of my door and ran directly into my mom's new boyfriend. Michael.

"Slow your roll there pimp."

"Get the fuck out of my face man. Where's my mom?"

"In the bedroom, she needed to freshen herself up," he winked at me and I had to tuck my fist to my side.

I walked past him and into the kitchen. I looked through the fridge and on the stove, but there was no food. My mom hadn't cooked.

"I can order you pizza pimp."

"I don't want any of your weed pizza man. How about this? How about you get the hell out of my house and leave my mom the hell alone."

"I would, but see there's a problem."

"The only problem I see is you."

"Me and your mother are getting married."

Author's Note

Okay, I give you guys permission to stone me for the stereotypical bad step-father, but I promise he has a greater good purpose and though it may seem like it now, he isn't all that bad. Another Toby's point of view and Nat starts school tomorrow, what do you think about that? Will Toatlie / Noby survive? Find out in the next chapter of Tamed? Vote, comment, and follow. Thank you.