33

𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑
she's fire. but she won't burn you... she knows all too well how it feels to live with ashes

THE TRIO THAT was Hope, Scott, and Isaac found themselves seated in Argent's office at their apartment

Chris Argent stood behind his desk, face contorting in pain as Allison attended to his wounds.

Hope was chewing on the inside of her cheek as she thought about what had happened just an hour ago. There was shadow ninja demons out to get her pack, and she didn't know how to protect her friends because her magic seemed to have no affect on them.

Chris' lips pursed, groaning through his teeth but remained silent as he thought back to the time he had his first confrontation with the same shadowy figures.

They had emerged from the darkness, alluring firefly green color being the only thing breaking up the blackness that were their eyes. The creatures pulled long black swords from their chests, slaughtering everyone and everything in sigh.

"There was something almost ritualistic about it — like it was looking right into his soul," Argent explained, wincing.

It was the exact same thing they did to Aiden, Lydia out on the balcony, Derek right outside the complex near his car, and Isaac the night prior in the Argents apartment.

"That's the same thing it did to me," Isaac announced, and Hope looked over at him.

Allison moved her eyes away from her father's wounds, briefly looking toward Isaac. "That's what it did to everyone."

"Not everyone," Scott spoke up. "They only came after the werewolves."

"And Lydia," Hope added, speaking up for the first time. "And before they disappeared, they were looking straight at me."

"Anyone with a connection to the supernatural," Chris informed, glancing at Hope in worry. He know that she must be the next victim to be chosen for whatever reason they're here for.

"Then who was the guy they went after in Japan?" Isaac inquired, stirring the conversation back into the direction of Chris Argent's experience in Japan.

"A kumicho," he replied immediately, like the entirety of the memory had been scarred into his memory for all eternity. Carter's own mind was still pulsating; not understanding who or what the creatures were looking for. "A yakuza boss. It was my first gun deal. I was only eighteen and it was supposed to be a simple exchange, except Gerard left out the minor detail of the buyers being yakuza. He wanted to see if I could adapt in the moment. Testing my ability to improvise."