Dripping Curls

Chapter 9:

Louis

His eyes shift between the floor, his mum, and my chest. We all stood there for a moment, none of us find the courage to speak. His mum looks between us before clearing her throat in attempt to ease the tension in the room, failing miserably. His eyes refused to meet mine.

"Harry, aren't you going to introduce me?" she chirped, but Harry flinched at her words, almost as if he was coming out of some sort of trance.

"Oh, Uhm yeah...mum this is Louis. He's my... my uhm" He stumbles over his words, not sure what title I deserve. 

"My names Louis, I'm a friend of Harry's" I interrupt him before he confuses his mum even more. He subtly scoffs at the word "friend" but I don't blame him. I don't even know where we stand with one another. The things that took place yesterday understandably left a bad taste in his mouth. I don't necessarily feel bad about it, I just don't understand why he got so upset.

His mum smiles so widely that it reaches her eyes "Nice to meet you, Louis. My name's Anne, I'm Harry's mum" She exclaims, pulling me into a tight hug. I look back over to Harry, but his eyes are trained on the rug underneath his socked feet.

"Well Louis, why don't you stay for a little bit?" Anne questions. She steps aside, allowing me to step into the house

"No mum I have to get ready, I have my first shift at the bakery today" Harry objects quickly once I step inside. "Oh shoot, I forgot. I don't have time to drop you off today. You think you could get a ride from someone?" I feel awkward standing in the middle of their living room, but I decide to stay quiet. 

"Mum you promised you would take me" He whispers. I can tell he didn't want me to hear their conversation, and I wish I hadn't, but I do. 

"Oh come on Harry, you can handle going to work by yourself. It'll be fine" Anne rushes over to the couch, grabbing her purse and slinging it over her shoulder. 

"I know I can handle it mum, but I just wanted you to be here" His cheeks turn a deep red as he draws his bottom lip in between his teeth, biting down softly. I have to lean against the wall to prevent myself from rushing over to him and wrapping my arms around his waist. Why do I even want to console him?

"Harry don't start, ok? Get over it, I have to get to work" She says in a firm tone. I shift uncomfortably on the heels of my shoe, wishing I could just leave. Anne makes her way over to him and places a quick kiss on his red cheeks. 

"How am I gonna get to work mum? Niall's has to go home" Niall's here? Why the fuck is Niall here? 

"Louis? I saw your car in the driveway, do you mind taking Harry to work? I can give you some money for gas" Anne questions. Harry and I both widen our eyes at her request. I only came here to find out why he ran away yesterday, not to be his chauffeur. 

It then dawns on me that I can use the car ride as an advantage to find out more behind his actions yesterday, so I simply shrug my shoulders and say "Sure, I guess"

"No mum absolutely not, I'm not riding with him" He crosses his arms over his chest, trying to appear more serious but it nearly makes me laugh 

"Either you ride with him, or you miss your first day at work. What's it gonna be?" Anne challenges. I can tell she's annoyed, but I can also tell that she and Harry don't exactly get along too well. 

"Fine, I'll be ready in 5 minutes, stay in here" He grumbles out before turning swiftly on his heel and retreating into the dark hallway. I look over to Anne and she pinches the bridge of her nose in between her thumb and her index finger.