Burdens And Baked Goods

The picture i- I'm soft

Important A/N at the end

Harry

My eyes flutter open due to the feeling of my mother's soft hands caressing my cheek.

"Harry? Love it's 7:00, you need to get ready" my mum spoke sweetly, being sure not to startle me as I slowly gained consciousness. My eyes flicker around the room, my brain slowly processing everything. 

I sit up, my thick frayed blanket falling to my waist.

My mum's gaze travels down to my naked arms, eyeing the red nail shaped marks and welts decorated over my skin due to my episode in the shower. Her face drops and she looks me in the eye. Eyes searching mine as if she's looking for an answer that she was too afraid to receive.

"Harry...tell me you aren't doing this again. You promised me"

It took me a moment to piece together what she was implying, and when the realization hit me, I instantly shook my head and drew my knees to my chest. 

"Oh god no mum, why would you even say something like that?" My eyebrows draw together and I shake my head rapidly.

She looked at me through squinted eyes as she wrapped her small hand around my arm, examining the sight. "Then what's with the scratches? Are there bugs in here?"

"No mum, I had an allergic reaction to that soap you bought me, I was just scratching, that's all, I promise" I'm a little surprised at how quickly I was able to lie. I don't like lying, especially to my mum, but how am I supposed to explain my little freak out in the shower last night?

"Alright hun, go ahead and get ready, I'll make you some eggs really quick before we head out alright?" She stood to leave but I quickly grabbed her hand.

"Mum, can I stay home today? I don't feel good" I say hastily, trying to sound believable as possible. Truth be told I felt absolutely fine, but I wasn't ready to have a repeat of yesterday, especially after last night. I just couldn't face it again. 

She looked at me curiously and placed the back of her hand against my forehead. "Hmmm, you don't really feel too warm. Is it your stomach?" I nod feverishly, trying to just go along with it and hoping she'll buy it.

"Well I guess so, but lets not make this a habit alright?" 

"Yes mum" She places a kiss upon my forehead. 

"I'll go get started on your eggs" I offer her a shy smile and at that, she leaves.

Deciding that I was sick of getting my clothes out of boxes, I spend the next few minutes unpacking the last two cardboard boxes that were sat in the corner of my bedroom. Once everything was put away, I threw on the same blue jeans from yesterday, a white t-shirt, and a knitted black cardigan. 

"Harry, breakfast!" I hear my mother yell, and so I throw on my favorite pair of fuzzy socks (they have cute little snowflakes on them) and make my way through the house. I spot a plate of eggs that were placed on the wooden table in the corner of our small kitchen.

Sitting down, I begin to eat my eggs, watching my mother rush around frantically like she usually does every morning.  "What are you going to do while I'm at work?" My mum asks as she packs her purse. 

"I was thinking of going into town and seeing about getting a job" I state, it comes out sounding more like a question. She looks at me with confusion written all over her face. 

"A job?" She questions, "Why?" 

I simply state with my mouth full of egg, "I dunno, I figure I could help out around here? That way you can be home more?" My mum looks at me as if I've suddenly grown two heads and I look down at the dark wooden table, feeling shy for some odd reason.