Chapter 49

She got up and limped into the bathroom to clean herself up. Getting inside the shower she rubbed herself raw.

It was like re-living that nightmare.

She hated him at the moment.

"Why did you do this Nilay!"

An hour later she sat on the bed bandaging her twisted ankle, sleep eluded and filled with bitterness towards her husband.

Nilay got up in the same clothes he was wearing yesterday with a throbbing headache. Cursing he moved into the shower. It was when the cold waters hit his head he recalled what he had done.
Not wasting much time he cleaned himself and dressing up headed to her room.

His hand raised itself to knock but stopped midway.

"What if she is sleeping. As it is she hardly sleeps these days. I might wake her up if by chance she got to sleep."

Thinking this he quietly opened the door to find her leaning against the window.

"Hey.." Was all he could say.

She turned around and a chill ran down her spine.

"Why didn't I lock the door?!" She gulped.

He saw it in her eyes. She was afraid of him. Petrified would be a more appropriate word.

He couldn't help but detest his virtual existence at that moment.

"F*ck you Nilay! How could you do that to her!" He cursed himself.

Slowly he walked towards her. In attempt to create distance she took a step sideways but failed miserably for her ankle gave way and she stumbled forward only to be caught by him.

"What happened?!" His voice bore an urgency. That's when he saw the bandage and remembered her falling down.

She panicked on his touch and tried to get away but he held her firmly and then picking her up put her on the bed.

"Lemme see.." He said touching her foot which retreated immediately.

He let out a defeated sigh. Running his hand through his hair he sat besides her on the bed.

"About yesterday.. I'm sorry. I don't know what took over me! I shouldn't have..."

"Leave."

Her eyes staring into empty space.

"Tahira just listen...I..."

"I said leave!" Her voice rose.

He wanted to bring her to face him but looking at her decided otherwise.

Shoulders slumped, fingers tightly curled around the bedsheet and a pale face, no matter how much she tried to show otherwise the truth was that she was scared of him.

He looked upto her and saw a tear trickle down. The moment he raised his hand to wipe it off she lost it.

"No! Please..." She cringed turning her face away from him.

"I won't hurt y.." He tried to talk.

"Just leave!" She sobbed.

He knew he had complicated things. She needed time to understand stuff. Without a word he got up and left.

............

Two weeks and Nilay didn't come home after that incident. Maybe he went to her Tahira thought. At times she felt that she had been a little too harsh on him. Maybe she could have at least given him a chance to put his point forward. But, images of Nilay forcing himself on her haunted her and she shook her head.