chapter 6

Nilay's pov

Getting shot was pretty common in my field of work. I always kept a gunshot trauma first aid kit at home because we were fully trained to treat gunshots ourselves. Wanting to avoid any police investigation I decided to drive home.

I drove for almost an hour and the pain was becoming unbearable. It was getting hard to focus. As soon as I reached home, I stumbled out of the car.

I knew Tahira would freak out on finding me in the condition, so I put on my jacket. I entered the house and saw her worried face. Trying to maintain my balance I went straight inside the kitchen and picked up a knife.

"Nilay...are you alright?" I heard her say. I could see that she was scared.

But I was in no condition to speak so I ignored her and started to climb the stairs. My vision started blurring and I missed a stair. She called behind me. I continued moving and reached my room. I removed my jacket.

Going to my cupboard I took took out the kit. Just then the pain became excrutiating and the box slipped from my hand falling on the floor with a bang. I saw her entering the room and run to me. She provided me support and helped to to the bed where I passed out.

Tahira's pov

I froze when I saw the door open. Nilay was there but he looked pale. Anyways why was I worried? why should I care? He almost stumbled in and went to the kitchen.

What scared me was when he picked up a knife. I wanted to talk to him so I called him. He totally ignored me and that got me angry.
When he lost balance on the stairs it struck me that he might be drunk so I just let it be.

Almost when I was about to climb up to my room I saw drops of blood on the stairs. I saw an entire trail fom the door to the stairs and freaked out. Just then I heard a loud thud from his room. I ran to his room and what I saw shocked me!

His arm was bleeding profusely. There was blood all over! He saw me and I saw a pained expression on his face. He was weak and was about to fall when I ran to him to provide support and led him to the bed.

I was panicking and knew that it wouldn't work. I knew if I called for medical help it would take time and moreover I didn't have any idea about how long had he been shot.

I calmed myself down and picked up the knife. Fumbling with the box I found medical alcohol. I rushed to the washroom and filled a bucket with cold water and bought it out and took out a clean towel.

Running to him I removed his shirt, put the towel in cold water and started cleaning his wound.

He winced in severe pain. I could see the bullet sticking out. Taking the knife I inserted it in the wound. Growling he gritted his teeth and frimly held my hand stoping me to take the bullet out. I tried to pry his hands off mine. It took a lot of effort to make him loosen his grip.

"Nilay, please! There's no way out." he tightened his grip on my hand.

"I understand it's painful but please bear the pain."

I guess he heard me and losened his grip fisting the bedsheet. With a firm hand I put the knife in and scooped the bullet out. He squirmed from pain.

I kept on dabbing the wound with the wet towel and put medical alcohol on it. Packing the pins with gauze, I applied pressure. Slowly the bleeding slowed down and I knew he was out of danger but I needed professional help.

I called Johan, one of my friends who was a doctor and was more than obliged to know that he would come.

I kept on pacing the room and soon the bell rang. John was there. I led him to the room and on examining the wound he said that Nilay required only stiches rest had been done. He was shocked and asked me what had happened. I told him whatever I knew and also about Nilays profession.

"Pinky promise?" I held out my little finger. Chuckling, he nodded entangling his with mine.

"Grow up Tahi!"

I made him promise that he won't open his mouth about the incident and he left. I locked the door. What if whoever shot him followed him to our home?

Ironical...Our home?!

There was blood all over and it was nauseating. The stench was overwhelming. I managed to clean the room, trash all his clothes and the towels I used and ran to his room. I felt exhausted and fell to the ground. I was shaking. He looked so innocent and it felt like all that happened in the passed few days never happened.

I was still in a state of shock. I thought all this was a bad dream and it'll end soon but it didn't. I got up and switched the lights off. Sitting beside him I lightly placed my hand on his forhead.

It just felt right at that moment.