24 | GAME OGRE PT. 3

✯               ✯               ✯

Isabelle and Monroe were both on the couch, chatting and laughing without a care in the world. Isabelle had been on a few dates throughout her late teens and early twenties, each of them being their own version of awkward. But this was not one of those dates. This was different. It was like being out with a best friend, but better.

"I can't believe it's already midnight." Isabelle sighs looking at the clock.

"I know. Me too." Monroe agrees looking at her with a small smile . "Well I should get going. I have an early morning clock repair across town."

"Okay. I'll walk with you to the door." Isabelle replies and walks with him to the door. "I'm glad you came over. You are definitely much better company than the same repetitive radio ads that come on every ten to fifteen minutes."

"God, I hate those." Monroe shakes his head.

"I know, right? It's like — we get it. You want to make money." Isabelle remarks and both of them laugh.

"I had a good time tonight too. Not to mention it saved me from tempting myself from buying another clock." Monroe tells her. "I love 'em, but I need to

"Well, I'm glad I could be of service." Isabelle grins. "Goodnight, Monroe."

"Goodnight, Isabelle." Monroe says before slowly walking away.

Closing the door Isabelle can't help but smile as excitement bursts from inside her. Grabbing the empty wine glasses from the table she brings them over to the sink and washes them out before putting them in the dishwasher. Hearing her phone ringing she walks to her room and looks at the screen. It was Juliette.

"You know, you could've at least waited.." Isabelle starts.

"Is.. Isabelle.." Juliette cries through the phone.

"Juliette, what's going on? What happened?" Isabelle questions, instantly worried.

"I.. I'm not sure. I came home and found this huge guy beating up Nick." Juliette admits. "I.. I think it had something to do with the case you and Nick are working on."

"Our case? Is Nick okay?" Isabelle inquires.

"Yeah. He's okay. The ambulance just got here." Juliette assures her. "Isabelle, watch your back. This guy isn't messing around."

"Don't worry, I can.." Isabelle begins but then gasps as her door swings open — it was Oleg Stark. "Crap."

Dropping her phone Isabelle pulls open her bedside table drawer and grabs her gun, quickly shooting a couple shots, but only one hits him. Stark storms in the room and pushes her on the bed and then wraps his hands around her neck.