CHAPTER 20 - Push and Pull

"Ice Lord is walking this way! OMG!"

"What the hell! There goes Takizawa again!"

"Why is that girl always with him?"

Dara's grip on her books tightened as she heard the students mumbling to each other as she was walking towards her locker. When she followed their gazes, true enough, Riko is with Jiro again. Her mood turned sour instantly. She knew she shouldn't feel that way because the two might just be friends. Still, she can't stop the jealousy boiling inside her.

What's more infuriating is that Jiro acts nonchalant about it, like it's not an issue AT ALL. Aside from that, the way he treats her at school remained the same. So, she still feels like she's 'the girl he has to protect', just like before. Isn't something supposed to change between them?

When Riko and Jiro were about to walked past her, Riko waved her hand and greeted her merrily. "Good morning Dara!"

She forced a smile on her face and nodded at her. Dara's gaze then shifted to the stoic guy beside Riko. Unfortunately, Jiro just glanced at her and continued walking, making her frown.

Grrr!

Sighing heavily, Dara opened her locker and threw her books inside. She doesn't know what to expect anymore. It's hard to keep up with Jiro's push and pull behavior. She knew he cares for her but...ugh...whatever Jiro Montecillo.

***

Dara rested her head on the concrete round table and groaned. Her problem – Jiro. She thought something would at least change between them. SOMETHING! But nada. He still acts like how he used to be. Their situation is frying her brain, to be quite honest.  

"What is wrong with you?" Namee, who was seated in front of her, kicked her foot to get her attention. "Look at you. You're even sucking away my happiness."

"Nameeeee...." She reached for her hand across the round table and pouted at her friend.

"What? I'm not the father of your child, okay?"

"Nameeeee...."

"Seriously, what's wrong with you?"

"NAMEEEE...."

"I will hit you with my bag, I swear."

"I really like Jiro", Dara finally admitted.

"HOE MY GAHD!" Namee shrieked with wide eyes and almost abruptly, the expression on her face became impassive. "Do you really expect that I will be surprised?"

"You don't understand. I really REALLY like him. I didn't realize how much I like him. It took me months-..."

"You mean YEARS", Namee pointed out.

"...to realize my feelings."

"O-kay. Now, what's the problem again?"

"EVERYTHING!" Dara hollered as she sat up straight, making Namee jerk back in surprise. "I thought we had something, but nothing changed between us! He's just doing the things that he used to do. He's still even accommodating Riko. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know he can't possibly shove Riko out of his life and I know she's not doing anything bad but, URGH! I don't know how to explain it. It's just what I'm feeling and I hate myself for it. I shouldn't be expecting too much. What am I going to do?" She was breathing heavily after she blurted out everything without even pausing.

"Dara, Dara, Dara. Loving someone doesn't come with instructions like those printed at the side of cup noodles. Just pour hot water for a happily ever after? No, dumbass", Namee explained. "Anyway, I don't think there's any problem between you and Jiro if he's behaving the way he used to be."