CHAPTER 15 - The New Rule

Picaro cleared his throat as Namee continued staring at him like he’s some divine apparition. They were standing on the hallway in front of the line of lockers, earning curious glances from other students.

“How do I erase this?” He asked, showing her his palm where her phone number is written. Namee giggled after realizing his predicament, making Picaro frown.

“Why do you want to erase it?” She asked, tilting her head in amusement. Why? She’s asking him why? Here’s why….

Errr… Why indeed. If you think about it, having the scribble on his palm doesn’t affect his life at all. His punching power is the same, judging from the level of ‘Ouch!’ that Bonsai exclaims. No, wait. When he recently hit Bonsai, he said ‘Aw!’, not ‘Ouch!’ That must mean something. Is his strength declining? Is he unconsciously aware of the scribble in his palm, making him distracted? Interesting. The scribble has powers!

“Come here, I’ll erase it for you”, Namee said while walking towards her locker. “Why are you not texting me?”

“I don’t have anything to say.”

“You can send me pictures of your drawing! I know you love to draw.” She glanced at him and smiled before entering the number combination to her locker.

Picaro furrowed his eyebrows, wondering why she knew that. “I was seated behind you during freshman year”, she offered. “I had short hair before.”

He stayed silent as he tried to recall his freshman classes. But how is he supposed to remember her? Freshman year is supposed to be forgotten because it was the most awkward part of every student’s life. Just thinking about his hairstyle during that time makes him want to crawl in a hole somewhere.

“Namee Cheng…” He mumbled to himself, watching her open her locker. Then, he finally remembered. Yes, she was seated behind him during Literature class. She was the one who asked for one of his doodles that he already crumpled and was about to throw away. And she’s-…

“Oh”, he exclaimed in recollection. “You are the-…” He cut himself off, knowing that it’s a sensitive topic.

“Hooker?” Namee continued where he left off while staring at her open locker with a letter dangling on the slot. The paper slid down on the floor and Picaro saw what was written there.

‘Hey Cheng. How much do you cost for a night?’

“Yes, that’s me”, she mumbled nonchalantly, but Picaro knew better. The girl picked up the letter and crumpled it, throwing it unceremoniously inside her locker. She then retrieved a small pouch and pulled out a cotton and a liquid container, pouring the liquid on the cotton. Picaro shifted his gaze and saw his crumpled drawing pasted at the side of her locker.

“Give me your hand”, Namee said, and he complied silently. He watched her as she rubs the ink off his palm, noticing her somber expression.

“Why are you keeping my drawing?” He asked, trying to divert the topic.