CHAPTER 16 - InterSAT Bonfire

"Let the InterSAT bonfire begin."

The crowd became rowdy at the overseer's announcement. Dara whimpered in pain when she was pushed left and right. The students' excitement soared when Ice Lord started striding towards the spectators area. Dara was too preoccupied dodging the bodies that were squeezing her to notice that Jiro is already standing in front of her. She yelped in surprise when her arm was yanked and she collided with Jiro's chest, his arm snaking around her waist.

"Move aside", he growled at the students who were pushing her earlier.

"Jiro", Dara said in surprise. He slowly lowered his gaze at her, his jaws clenching in annoyance and his eyes conveying his genuine disapproval. "What the hell are you doing here, Ramirez?"

"I was worried", she said as Jiro released her.

"Of your friend?" He asked, raising his hand to wipe the sweat off her face.

"Please don't fight with him."

His eyes narrowed at her, making Dara take a step back. She knew at this point, nothing can change his mind. But it was worth a shot. Bullet is her friend and she doesn't want to see him hurt. She also doesn't want to see Jiro in a fight.

"Why are you going this far for him?" His every word was laced with something she cannot quite fathom. She watched as she swallowed hard and exhaled audibly, his eyebrows furrowing as if he was in pain because of something.

"I just don't want any of you to get hurt."

"I won't get hurt. He will."

Dara gnawed on her lips and stared directly at him. "I don't want that either." She heard his sharp intake of breath as he averted his gaze. "Jiro, I-..."

"Enough."

"But-..."

"ENOUGH", he growled, making the other students around them jerk back in fright.

"I'll walk you home", he said after a while and reached for Dara's wrist, but the girl avoided his hand.

"I don't want to", Dara said firmly.

"Ramirez..."

"I'll stay here. If you drag me home, I'll just come back. Unless, you're not going to participate in the duel anymore."

Seeing her resolve, Jiro sighed in exasperation and grabbed her wrist once again.

"I told you, I'm not going anywhere unless-..."

"I'll just take you to the Black Dragons area. If you want to watch the InterSAT bonfire, then you better stay beside me", he muttered.

Dara stopped protesting and followed him, with Jiro walking ahead of her holding her wrist. "Jiro, please don't challenge Bullet", she asked while staring at his back.

"It's too late. The challenges have been passed to the overseer."

She clenched her fist and lowered her gaze. "Isn't there anything I can do to stop you?" She whispered. 

***

"Punch his face! YEAH!"

"You can do it!"

"No! Don't raise the white flag! FIGHT!"

Dara unconsciously gripped a fistful of Jiro's shirt from behind while watching the duel, wincing at every punch that landed on the challenger's face. The past fights were not this fierce, almost to the point of killing each other. She gasped when she saw blood trickling down the guy's face, her breathing becoming ragged.