CHAPTER 9 - Fire 39 Leader

Dara's POV

This kind of awkward is not something I expect in a Sunday morning. I can deal with Namee's mouth any time of day, but I'm not sure how to handle a big guy crying in the middle of the street...and he happens to be the leader of one of the gangs in our school. Should I pat his back? Ruffle his hair? Like a pet? Nah.

Left with nothing to say, I sighed. "This is awkward, right?"

"Really? I'm quite comfortable", he teased and smiled at me while wiping the tears at the corner of his eyes.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah", he mumbled and casted his eyes downwards. "Well... See you around, I guess", he said and hastily strode past me.

Why do I get entangled in this kind of mess every now and then? Handling a crying guy is beyond my power but I can't just leave him alone after witnessing that drama, can I?

"Wait", I held his arm to stop him and he glanced back at me quizzically. Darn. What should I say? "D-Do you want ice cream?" God, I'm really useless in this kind of situation.

"Excuse me?"

"I'll treat you to ice cream", I said.

"Like a kid?"

"Yeah."

"You're hurting my manly ego, you know", he crossed his arms over his chest and looked down at me like he's a superior human being. Men.

"So, you don't want it?"

"What flavor?"

"Your choice."

"Chocolate."

"Okay."

"Let's go", he said.

I never imagined guys could be so simple.

***

"Why aren't you asking me anything?" Bullet said with a spoon dangling in his mouth.

"I'm not in the position to ask", Dara replied.

"You are. You're my friend."

Dara eyed him and arched her eyebrow. What is up with this guy and his unending mission to make her his friend? He already has a lot of fan girls in InterSAT, not to mention gang mates.

"It must be really awkward for you to see that", Bullet added.

'This is awkward', Dara thought. Why won't he just stop with the small talk and eat the damn ice cream? She could hardly swallow whenever he opens his mouth. To be honest, she winces every time he moves because she's not used to this kind of chill scene after witnessing the earlier drama.

"Hey, I'm trying here. You can at least pretend to have a normal conversation with me."

"Fine", Dara sighed. "Who was that who slapped you?"

"My father's wife", he answered nonchalantly.

"Your father's wife? Your mom?"

"Stepmom. I'm an illegitimate child. Son of a mistress", he shrugged.

Shocker. Now she's regretting why she indulged him. She should have remained silent. How does she respond to that?

"You want to change topic now, don't you?" He smiled and scooped the ice cream on Dara's glass.

"Can we?"

"Yep."

Thank goodness. "So, uhm..."